Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a sweet deal on a brand new DT 4.1d on DT Onyx wheelset yesterday on ebay for $159. Then the deal fell through today because the seller wont ship to Canada due to high shipping costs :( Am I ever disappointed!!!

So, instead of going for fancy hubs, I swallowed my pride and bought a new pair of centerlock XT hubs with XT rotors for $119 on ebay. The centerlock XT hubs are surprisingly light for what they are (Front 180g Rear 369g QR: 61g).

Now, I need to build up the wheelset for cross country use (190lbs). My friend is recommending a CR18, but I'm thinking of getting DT 4.1d. Now the question is, is the DT rim overkill for my purposes, or does it worth every penny???

Cheers

Ming

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I would use the DT rims. Much better for XC use and your weight. I think you will be happier with the XT hubs in the long run, too. The Onyx is a "budget" hub for DT and uses 2 pawls instead of the stronger ring ratchet of the high end DTs. I have seen several Onyx freehubs blowup under heavier riders.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
I would use the DT rims. Much better for XC use and your weight. I think you will be happier with the XT hubs in the long run, too. The Onyx is a "budget" hub for DT and uses 2 pawls instead of the stronger ring ratchet of the high end DTs. I have seen several Onyx freehubs blowup under heavier riders.
Ahh...I actually started having 2nd thoughts after reading the reviews on MTBR. I found a descent deal on a set of Kings on 717s for $500. I may go for that set if everything sounds right.

Thanks again for the advice!!

Ming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.