Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got my new Recoil (well, to me, LOL) and love it, but I have some money that could be contributed to upgrades on it.

I had two thoughts:

- The fork on it now is an '04 888R. It's super plush but I don't really like the way it goes through its travel. In other words, 5 foot drops to flat do the same thing as me standing up on the pedals and bouncing. I think maybe a newer fork is in order. Perhaps a RockShox Domain or a 66? A Fox if I can touch one for $750? ALso, will having a 150-180mm fork screw up my bike a ton?

- The frame and shock together weigh like 15 pounds. What if I were to buy, say, a Stinky frame, sell the current one, and use the proceeds to upgrade the brakes from the Mags on there now to Codes or something? Would that screw the components' performance up?

Thanks for your help.

·
you said.. Member
228 Posts
PUSH It

Sounds like a nice setup to me, the '04 888 is a sweet fork. If the thing is not totally trashed send it to PUSH Industries to have it dialed in however you want. Not sure what they charge for the 888 but I think it is in the $350-500. They will completely rebuild the fork and upgrade the valving so it responds much better. Just a thought given your $750 and the price of a new fork.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
The Marz. is pretty easy to setup for your weight/riding style. The PUSH option would be very nice but if you want to save $$ just do like Mr. Blonde said and raise the oil. You can also go to a higher viscosity.
Edit; Check out a Transition Dirtbag, you can probably find one used in that price range pretty easily.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mr. Blonde said:
Raise the oil level in your fork.
Raise the oil level? It sounds like his fork is not using all of its travel when it should be. Unless he means he is going through a lot of travel by bouncing on the bike, I think raising the oil level would not have the desired effect. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
706 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
I looked on Push's site but it seems that they only do Fox and RockShox. :confused:
They do lots of products if you know how to ask them nice.

Why don't yo start another thread about tuning your 888. There is no reason to get rid of that fine fork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.