Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out at the Santos trials today and basically bonked too soon on the John Brown trail. Do not know if I was a little tired from yesterdays Festivities, or if I have let myself go a little physically (I did slacked off a bit in June) or what .... but I just was not riding today as well as I was 3 weeks ago. Not skills just endurance.

So, frustrated with my heart rate and breathing, I broke out the Cell Phone Camera and took some pics around the John Brown Quarry area .... Intersection of John Brown, Dr. Ruth, and RS Ridge trails.

I like this area pretty well. I like to ride the rock drops and rock gardens there.

Trails was pretty crowded. I ran in to more riders than ever ... but I usually only ride weekdays too and it is a holiday weekend. Most of them were paired up and doing there own thing, but I was in no mind for a pack ride anyway. Fun day over all … but I clearly need to go into a training cycle and lay off the Chinese food :D

Attachments

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Drop in pic #4 above is one of my Favorites. These next are up and around the corner from there. The first is of the senic overlook - you cannot really tell from the pic that there is a large Quarry Hole behind the bike, but there is, and the last 2 are a large rock drop just beyond the overlook.

Attachments

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is a 17.5 Marin Rock Springs Stock except for the '07 LX long cage rapid rise RD. I got the bike new back just over a year ago as a close out 2004 model. It has preformed as well or better than expected. The rear suspension is kind of a cross between a 4 bar and a VPP. It is Marins own design and is very plush with out being bouncy. The travel is adjustable between 4-6". I run it at about 5 or so. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
I once plowed into the little christmas tree looking pine at the bottom of the roller in the last pic. That was back in the day on my GT hardtail, good times.

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, atrane21,

You are gonna really like the table tops at the vortex. I sat there for a few minutes today and watched the "kids" glide over the multiple series of jumps on BMX bikes .... so smooth, just doing cross ups one after another. Made me wish I had a single speed or BMX bike today. Looked like fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i can't wait!! i've been wanting to ride a decent rythm section so bad lately!!

is there a place to park close to the jumps? kind of be a pain ridein the BMX bike back through a bunch of trails, unless they're pretty easy trails to get there.

·
Engineer The Future Now!
121 Posts
It was a bit soggy @ The Vortex Friday when I was there. The lips on the tables are practically non-existant and I have seen waaaaaay too many people on XC bikes rolling the doubles. :madman: :nono:

·
Registered
63 Posts
damn that sucks. gotta love those people!! haha.

when i had trails in Pennsylvania i hated when people (mostly little kids) would come and "jump" them. they always just destroyed the hell out of them.

just beat 'em with a shovel and they'll catch on!! haha! j/k

·
Engineer The Future Now!
121 Posts
It was an eventful day. I saw a girl w/ a walmart (or equivalent) bike w/ a basket on the rear fender rolling the tables along w/ about 5 or 6 other kids. I didn't see it happen, but I saw the aftermath of this poor woman who followed me into the tables ( at the same speed ) sitting down and endo'ed hard on the first roller *cringe* bad scene there for a bit but she got up and rode away so I'm pretty sure she was ok for the most part. Met a dude there teaching his boy how to ride (training wheels) and the little dude was rollin pretty good. The little dude was so stoked to be crusin' along and even made it over the first roller :thumbsup: It's cool to see stuff like that sometimes because I start to remember why I ride and how much enjoyment I get out of it. To the OP, nice pics man I spend so much time @ The Vortex when I go to Santos that I had almost forgotten about that stuff. :D

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
atrane, I do not know how legal it is, but I did see a "toyota" size silver truck parked just beyond the "No Parking" signs at the enterence to the Vortex. That is a pretty common site. So after we ride, I could make your way around to that side and park and ride if you like. Guess it depends on what others say about the parking idea. I really do not know.

VT, I think I saw that lady with the basket bike.

Yea the place was hopping today .... and I was gone by 10:30 or so.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A suggestion from a Santos regular--just go ahead and park at the Santos Trailhead when the gate is not open (it is only open on Sunday). Keep in mind we get to ride these trails only so long as the OGT is happy with us and we are not causing problems. An easy way to deal with "traffic jams" and wrecks around that gate area would be to just shut us down.

It is a short, easy trail to get to the Vortex pit. When you enter the trail, take your first right and stay on the yellow trail (Pine Tree). Look at it as your warm-up.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
the sheriff will ticket people parked outside of the gate along the road. Supposedly they can't ticket oh the north side of the gate because it' a state land or something, but I'm not sure that's true.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
You can be ticketed on either side near the freeride/DJ area. It's not usually enforced but it *CAN* happen so if you want to be 100% safe.. park in the parking lot. Otherwise don't complain when you get an 80 dollar ticket :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.