Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build up my race bike a while ago and opted for the lightest tires I could find, namely, Schwalbe Fast Freds. I took 'em for a few rides around town and a couple hard pack off road rides and figured they were good. A few weeks back, I rode one of my local trails which has some loose stuff on it and Fast Freds sucked. I was out of control on fast corners, the front wheel was washing out on me. I went searching for a replacement. I have had good experience with 2.25 RR in the rear on my trail bike, so I went with two 2.1 Racing Ralphs, front and rear for the race bike. I rode my hardtail yesterday though some very technical terrain, hardpack and loose stuff and I was in awe. These 470g tires are amazing! I cleared all the entire technical section, and I never had a moment when I felt like these tires weren't predictable or wheren't gripping very well when I was moving though XC sections. There were a few super fast corners on sandy terrain where I felt them slightly lose their grip, but they worked hard to hold on to whatever they could, and I made it through all these corners with increased confidence in handling. At high speeds, they are fantastic. My favorite "small" tires. They also have a very decent air volume for their size.

_MK

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jkittlesen said:
Have Ralphs front and rear(2.25/2.1),best frickin tire for hardpack period.
That is the combo I used at Sea Otter yesterday. VERY fast and no issues with traction - hardpack, HP w/loose or sand. I was coasting by other riders with ease (singlespeed). Ran 28-30 psi front, 35-38 rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Set up?

shiggy said:
That is the combo I used at Sea Otter yesterday. VERY fast and no issues with traction - hardpack, HP w/loose or sand. I was coasting by other riders with ease (singlespeed). Ran 28-30 psi front, 35-38 rear.
Shiggy,
Do you run that set-up with Stan's? I'm looking to replace my Nokian NBX Lites on my RacerX with something equally as light but with more volume. Most of the terrain i ride is hard pack with some loose sand, and the Nokians just didn't handle the sand every well. Perhaps I'm running too much pressure in the Nokains? 40psi with Stans on Bonty Racelite tubeless rims. Any suggestions?
Scott

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tried the RR's for the first time yesterday. I too was impressed with how well they rolled. They definitely seemed faster than anything else I've tried and they also clmbed reasonably well.

My trails are hardpack/loamy, lots of leaves and roots, with patches of sand. The only thing I would have liked to see was a bit more grip in fast, sandy corners. I've used other tires that I thought peformed better there. Most recently, I tried the Specialized FastTracks and they cornered very nicely. But , I would probably have to go with the RR's for overall performance.

Does anyone have another tire recommendation that rolls like the RR's but corners better?

I'm wondering if I ought to now try a larger RR in the front but don't like the idea of adding the extra rotational weight. Any feedback/advice here would be appreciated.

I mounted non-UST RR 2.1 tires front and rear, ran them tubless on Stan's Olympic rims with the yellow tape and sealant. One tire was difficult to inflate (w/ compressor) while the other was v fast. One tire only had about one scoop of sealant while I put in 1.5 into the other to see how they hold their air.....

Edit: Tires sat overnight and there was only 10 psi left in the front so I had to add another cup of sealant. A pain, yes, but it seemed to seal the 50 or so pinhole leaks around the sidewalls. The rear only had three or four pinhole leaks that sealed up easily with a little more shaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.