Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long weekend in Marquette, MI for Superior Bike Fest, I'm hooked on this whole point down, go fast, jump stuff thing ;) Seeing as how there are places to ride an easy drive from Chicago or NYC, I'm investing in a downhill bike. All mtn, trail, and freeride duties will be handled by an Iron Horse MKIII, so this can be a dedicated rig.

I've ridden a couple of Banshee, Turner and Specialized frames, and didn't like the feel. A C'Dale Gemini, Santa Cruz Bullit, and a SC Heckler all felt good. Of course, set-up could have a lot to do with it, but it's interesting that the single pivots have felt the "best". I know it's not the newest or sexiest, but is there life left in the single pivot design?

I like simple.

Chip

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
ianjenn said:
Heck yes there is life left in em. The Cannondale, Orange or Cortina are all fine examples of single pivot bikes!!!!!!!!!!
all of foes bikes are also single pivots

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

I spent a couple of hours out at our local trail/dj/northshore spot (CPX near Chicago) and really looked around at what people were riding, and listening to what they had to say. I'm still leaning toward a simple single pivot design, but I may have scaled back my thought that I need 7+ inches of travel. What I really need to pay attention to is geometry that works for me and be honest about what I'm really going to be riding.

What I do know for sure is that a Revell 300s with an 80mm fork and 24" wheels isn't exactly the best choice for NS type drops and jumps made by guys with full sus bikes and big wheels. Well, at least not at my age!

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Chip

·
Registered
70 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
not necessarily.......think about more stress at one point
Not really any more than multi-pivots. With multi-pivots (specifically four bar) the stress is similar, but on more than one pivot instead. If what you are saying were the case, then spring rates would decrease the more pivots you added with everything (leverage ratio etc) being equal. With a single pivot you simply have fewer places to worry about and reinforce.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.