Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always impressed by the bridges that have been built. Here are a couple from trails in Western Washington. Let's see bridges where you ride. Tribute to all the bridge builders out there!

Near the top of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River trail.

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community

Farther down the same trail

Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Natural landscape

This old bridge is on the Palisades trail near Mt. Rainier

Body of water Nature Natural environment Water resources Bridge

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The first time I rode Skyline in Napa I got to the intersection of the loop at the end of the Skyline trail. I stopped to look at where I was on the map and saw a rider descend the hill across the creek and speed onto the bridge. Instantly his tires slipped out on the wet boards and he went down like a sack of potatoes. Like all of us, he was not interested in checking out the damage and rode off quickly down the hill leaking a little red fluid from some serious road rash.

When I came down the hill off the loop, I walked the bridge.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,707 Posts
Vulture's Knob has, easily, the coolest bridges.

The Cradle (aka Sling Bridge)
Product Photograph Soil Tan Beige

Can you say "positive G's"?

12 Ton Bridge
Nature Vegetation Wood Natural environment Natural landscape

Arch Bridge
Wood Nature Natural environment Leaf Bridge

Can you say "negative G's"?

Suspension Bridge
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Leaf

Slightly uphill...and slippery when wet, too.

Over-Under
Nature Branch Natural environment Wood Tree

Um, yeah... you loop and descend through where the photog is standing.

Most offer bypasses.
There are other, bigger, nicer, longer bridges around here, but these have character! They really enhance the experience.

-F

·
Registered
452 Posts
Vulture's Knob has, easily, the coolest bridges.

The Cradle (aka Sling Bridge)
View attachment 882051
Can you say "positive G's"?

12 Ton Bridge
View attachment 882050

Arch Bridge
View attachment 882052
Can you say "negative G's"?

Suspension Bridge
View attachment 882053
Slightly uphill...and slippery when wet, too.

Over-Under
View attachment 882054
Um, yeah... you loop and descend through where the photog is standing.

Most offer bypasses.
There are other, bigger, nicer, longer bridges around here, but these have character! They really enhance the experience.

-F
Nice to see some love for that place! I rode there last year with my cousin from Ohio. My family has a place on the lake about 90 minutes north. I'll definitely be going back to the Vulture's whenever I'm there!

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
Chicken wire tread on that Arch Bridge looks like a cost-effective solution to the wet-mossy-plank problem that I too have seen take riders down hard. Does the wire hold up over the years? The only thing worse than mossy planks would be mossy planks covered with rusty torn-up chicken wire...

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first time I rode Skyline in Napa I got to the intersection of the loop at the end of the Skyline trail. I stopped to look at where I was on the map and saw a rider descend the hill across the creek and speed onto the bridge. Instantly his tires slipped out on the wet boards and he went down like a sack of potatoes. Like all of us, he was not interested in checking out the damage and rode off quickly down the hill leaking a little red fluid from some serious road rash.

When I came down the hill off the loop, I walked the bridge.
Speaking of, here's the entrance boardwalk at Duthie Hill Mountain Bike Park near my home. I always ride this like I'm riding on ice.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
One of the many bridges along the lower section of the McKenzie River Trail.
Nature Bicycle wheel Natural environment Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Crossing over the North Fork Tumalo Creek.
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Big $$$,$$$ bridge on Centennial Cone Park crossing Elk Creek. I've always wondered how they got those steel beams out into the middle of the park and got them set up - helicopters maybe?
Plant Plant community Bridge Nature reserve Shrub

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.