Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ride my new build around for a few hours with the steerer uncut so I can swap the spacers around to find the ideal stack height before cutting....

....so far so good.....

....but my quesion is: is there a way of tensioning the headset with the steerer tube still uncut ? or is it ok to ride around for a bit with a loose (untensioned) headset ?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Ty

Attachments

· Registered
2,817 Posts
not easily.
I can't say yeah or nay if you'd damage your headset by running it loose, but it's not healthy for it.
I'd use a few more spacers (ie-longer than you'll want, like 1-2 inches), cut it long with those spacers, until you figure out where you want it, then cut it shorter.. it may look dorky to have a bunch of spacers for a while, but who cares!
I always like to leave it a bit long (ie with a spacer on top of the stem) for resale value and if I want to change my cockpit setup (ie stems with differenct stack heights).

�Ty� said:
....but my quesion is: is there a way of tensioning the headset with the steerer tube still uncut ? or is it ok to ride around for a bit with a loose (untensioned) headset ?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Ty

· Crazy C
28 Posts
I know this may be a week too late but U.S.E. makes a device called the RingoStar (which you actually appear to have on your bike already) that preloads the bearings without the use of a starnut. Your other option (I think is what the other post is recommending) is to add spacers on top of your stem which will allow you to tighten everything up. If you install the starnut with the steerer uncut you can always pound it in a little farther before you cut it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.