Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a Prime - I've been curious for a long time, and it's one of the 'final three' contenders.

Howeverm I live in Stockholm, and there are no dealers locally - the local ones on Banshee's site are either closed or no longer list them on their site.
So, I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

I'm right between sizes. I'm not sure whether to get a Large or XL.
  • I'm about 189cm (6'-2"), with a long-ish torso and really long arms.
  • I currently ride a 2016 XL Jeffsy.... 74.7º Seat Tube • 465mm reach • 66.9º head tube • 1205mm wheelbase. The stack is a bit low, and I could easily handle another inch of reach without issue, but otherwise it's a very comfortable size.
  • The Large Prime seems like it might fit. The reach is 5mm longer, and the wheelbase is 40mm longer, which sounds right - but, the 76º seat tube will push me more forward, so I'm worried that will be shorter than my Jeffsy.
  • The XL might be on the long side of the Reach I want, but it will have a 65mm longer wheelbase than my current bike. More than 2" longer? That freaks me out a bit. I'm really satisfied with the agility of the 1205mm wheelbase I have now, and 40mm longer seems enough. I'm worried it will massively over-bike me.
So, anyone with a similar body type to me care to weigh in?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
XL. The Jeffsey has a 20mm longer top tube length than the L Prime, which dominates the seated fit. The large will feel too short seated. A long torso for your height also points to upsizing when on the cusp. The additional reach while standing is quickly adjusted to and having gone through a similar change in fit recently, much better.

Reactions: schnee

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.

I'm not that worried about the longer reach, I think having that while standing will feel great.

I'm a little concerned about the longer wheelbase. I don't want to feel like I'm riding a truck, but from looking around at bikes that fit me, it's pretty much the 'new normal'.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I'm 6 ft and ride a size L Phantom V3...

Basically the same as a Prime, minus approx. 20 mm of travel out back/up front.

The bike has a steep feeling STA which gives a nice upright/efficient pedaling platform.

It's the stoutest bike I've ever ridden!!

Despite only having 115mm on tap (NB, running 140mm Lryik Ultimate fork), it feels deep and usable.

It feels more composed on the downs than the 160mm rear travel bike it replaced (most parts moved over).

Phantom has longish chainstays, but manuals easily.

The only thing holding it back from being as competent on the ups as the downs, is that the frame is overbuilt which equates to heft.

My L weighs 14.6 kilos (32 lb's).

Think that's why a full build Phantom, comes with carbon hoops (frame only for me).

I think at your height an L would feel a little short in the TT.

You could run the XL Prime in mullet mode.

This would shorten the reach slightly.

Running a 140-150 fork with short offset, would decrease wheelbase a tad.

1273mm WB isn't too outrageous. I like my bikes around the 1230-1240 mark.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your Prime as much as I'm enjoying my Phantom

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't want to feel like I'm riding a truck, but from looking around at bikes that fit me, it's pretty much the 'new normal'.
I went from a Spitfire V2 size L to a Prime V3 size L at 6'. Reach went from 452 to 470, stack from 590 to 639. Wheelbase almost 60mm longer.
I expected the Prime to feel pretty lethargic, truck-like, compared to the Spitfire, but this is definitely not the case. Indeed, I find myself hopping roots and rocks even more and the Prime is (according to Strava) faster just everywhere. Even on a tight and twisty singletrail which I rode hundreds of times before it is just faster and more fun.
The Prime is the first bike which gives me enough confidence to try some (for me) bigger jumps after almost 30 years of biking.

So at your size don't hesitate to get the XL, I think it will be a good fit and you will be surprised by it's agility.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

It turns out one of the dealers still has them, but stopped listing them on their site. And they have a Large Phantom I can test-ride, and that will answer my questions completely.

After looking around, my choice is between a Phantom and Prime - so hopefully I'll get that answered today.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I rode the Large around, and when turning sharply the bars almost buried themselves in my kneecaps. XL it is, no contest.

And, surprise to me too, I'm going with the Phantom. I need a change, and it's more than enough travel for around here.

Now for the BIG questions... how to matchy-match with juuust enough red. Maybe the hubs and seatpost collar? Perhaps the pedals also? :LOL:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can probably sell the Yeti and buy a car instead :LOL:

No, but really, why get rid of the SB? It's state of the art wonderbike. Banshees are a bit retro and 'underdog', if you get what I mean. Are you over-biked?

Edit: I mean, you'll get rid of one of the fastest-climbing race bikes around for one that's plows through stuff with less travel and 5 pounds heavier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is just plain wrong. The Prime is not "5 lbs heavier". According to yeti, their Turq frame is 7.72 lbs, and their non-turq frame is about 1/2 to 3/4 lb heavier. The prime frame according to banshee is 8.2 lbs. So the absolute worst case is that the Prime is about 1/2 a pound heavier. Not even close to your stupid "5 lbs heavier" comment.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

No, but really, why get rid of the SB? It's state of the art wonderbike. Banshees are a bit retro and 'underdog', if you get what I mean. Are you over-biked?

Edit: I mean, you'll get rid of one of the fastest-climbing race bikes around for one that's plows through stuff with less travel and 5 pounds heavier.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Well, I rode the Large around, and when turning sharply the bars almost buried themselves in my kneecaps. XL it is, no contest.

And, surprise to me too, I'm going with the Phantom. I need a change, and it's more than enough travel for around here.

Now for the BIG questions... how to matchy-match with juuust enough red. Maybe the hubs and seatpost collar? Perhaps the pedals also?
My Phantom has the Red Lyrik

I'm running a red Spank Spoon stem also.

Almost forgot, red 30t Oval chainring.

Have some red DaBomb grips too.

They're not very soft/comfortable, so I've got black Chromags on there for the moment.

Plus, a brown Charge Cooker saddle... brings things together nicely.

Finally, red acented Sunrace 11 speed cassette is there for the trainspotters.

Unfortunately the Spank rims have orangey colored acents.

It looked odd, so I spray painted them black.

Looks mint!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
32 Posts

Yeah I live in Denmark we don't have huge stuff 99% is single track trail riding up and down twisty turny. I love the SB but it's an absolute sled :)

Fox 38's at 170 mm is just bonkers. I got the bike in trade i did been feeling over biked since was even looking at the phantom but I am 112 kg guy and I like to get some air under my wheels was thinking more prime.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is just plain wrong. The Prime is not "5 lbs heavier". According to yeti, their Turq frame is 7.72 lbs, and their non-turq frame is about 1/2 to 3/4 lb heavier. The prime frame according to banshee is 8.2 lbs. So the absolute worst case is that the Prime is about 1/2 a pound heavier. Not even close to your stupid "5 lbs heavier" comment.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
Yes but no input on my current mental state? haha ;)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your tone is completely uncalled-for. Nothing I said deserved 'stupid'.

If you want to correct me on a technical misunderstanding, sure, go ahead, I'm all ears. But that level of name-calling (by an adult, no less) adds nothing and frankly doesn't belong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your tone is completely uncalled-for. Nothing I said deserved 'stupid'.

If you want to correct me on a technical misunderstanding, sure, go ahead, I'm all ears. But that level of name-calling (by an adult, no less) adds nothing and frankly doesn't belong.
Ok, my apologies.
And to be clear, I didn't call you any names, I said your comment was stupid, not you as a person. And that to me is somewhat fair when someone feels the need to provide wildly inaccurate information to someone else.
However, I understand that I was overly harsh, so again, my apologies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Review
I am looking at getting a large I am 182 cm, quick someone tell me I am not crazy for wanting to get rid of my sb150 and get a prime instead???
You have probably already found this review?
Yes, it is a Titan, but maybe helpful anyway.

Edit: I don't see the Prime as a plow machine, have already described my impressions above coming from a Banshee Spitfire V2. Ride the Prime with a 160mm Suntour Durolux EQ and yes, you can hammer through stuff but also it is pretty agile, gets good speed out of pumping and pedals very efficient - despite its 15,3kg (including pedals).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.