Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble with FOX FLOAT FP3 shox. To gain 1,5 cm sag, I must give 40 PSI higher preasure than according to my weight. Instead of 180 PSI according to weight, 220 PSI according to sag. At the same time shox should be 7.875" (20 cm) long, but mine is step by step losing its length. Now it has only 18 cm and its has decive impact on frame geometry. Is this normal behaviour of this shox or is it faulty ? Can you measure your RP3 eye-to-eye, thank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
monolink said:
I have trouble with FOX FLOAT FP3 shox. To gain 1,5 cm sag, I must give 40 PSI higher preasure than according to my weight. Instead of 180 PSI according to weight, 220 PSI according to sag. At the same time shox should be 7.875" (20 cm) long, but mine is step by step losing its length. Now it has only 18 cm and its has decive impact on frame geometry. Is this normal behaviour of this shox or is it faulty ? Can you measure your RP3 eye-to-eye, thank.
Ok, without measuring anything, I can safely say that I'm going thru the same problem. Over the past 3 weeks or so, I've been losing stroke-length, to the point where now I barely have two inches of travel. The geometry is starting to feel freeridish (think 60 degree hta, lol). It looks like it's a defective seal in the shock, so basically-- air that you pump into the shock is leaking into the chamber on the opposite side, leaving it unable to extend to it's maximum length. In other words, it's "stuck down."

I have to wait for the replacement seal kit to get here to be sure that this is the problem, but if you're not used to disassembling rear shocks (I'm not), take it to your shop. All of that pressure is in the chamber, and there's no valve to slowly let it out, meaning when you take it apart, it's going to explode. If you're not ready for it, it can be a heart stopper.
:(

Fortunately, the replacement seal kit is only like $15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EtE said:
Ok, without measuring anything, I can safely say that I'm going thru the same problem. Over the past 3 weeks or so, I've been losing stroke-length, to the point where now I barely have two inches of travel. The geometry is starting to feel freeridish (think 60 degree hta, lol). It looks like it's a defective seal in the shock, so basically-- air that you pump into the shock is leaking into the chamber on the opposite side, leaving it unable to extend to it's maximum length. In other words, it's "stuck down."

I have to wait for the replacement seal kit to get here to be sure that this is the problem, but if you're not used to disassembling rear shocks (I'm not), take it to your shop. All of that pressure is in the chamber, and there's no valve to slowly let it out, meaning when you take it apart, it's going to explode. If you're not ready for it, it can be a heart stopper.
:(

Fortunately, the replacement seal kit is only like $15.
Many thanks, it is always much better when one can share his bad luck with others. But what is suprising me is that there are so many RP3s installed and working well and I got two and both "stuck down".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
monolink said:
Many thanks, it is always much better when one can share his bad luck with others. But what is suprising me is that there are so many RP3s installed and working well and I got two and both "stuck down".
From what I understand (after talking extensively with my LBS), we are not alone.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top