Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the cornering of the 29x2.3 DHF dual compound front tire (but, I admit the transition zone gets my attention sometimes).
I hate the weight. 1005g.

Would a cut or uncut DHR II 29x2.3 at 825g or maybe a Bontrager XR4 29x2.4 at 780g be a reasonably similar replacement?

Top Fuel, 21 or 23mm inner rims. 160lb smooth rider, don't jump or ride super rough trails.

Many thanks,
Bob

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,428 Posts
I dont think you will notice 100-150 grams in a front tire, in your first 20 miles of a ride. Buy a front tire that suits your needs, as far as tread style, tubeless, width, sidewall protection, rubber compounds, and price. These parameters are way more important than a simple "100 gram lighter tire will make me faster". The trails are littered with the corpses of riders that "saved 100 grams", their corpses rot and their bikes turn to dust and blow away in the wind. A calamity of death and destruction, all to save the weight of a 1/4er Pounder w/ cheese.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So, you have an XC bike with narrow rims and you don't ride aggressive trails... why not step down to a Forekaster or a Rekon? Sounds like you don't need anything like a Minion. If you're still unsure about grip, maybe a High Roller?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a 29x3 xr4 and love it. I like it way better than my old DHF. Tons of grip and fast rolling. You won't be sorry with an XR4. Hit up @mikesee for the best prices I've found.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, for years I've ridden cross country, short knob tires, and I still like them. I relied on finesse, and it suits my style.

I agree that I don't really need the DHF. Heck, I've ridden an 18lb, 72mm travel hardtail with Pythons all over the US.
But, I tried the DHF with more aggressive cornering technique, and enjoy it. My favorite trails are relatively smooth, but there are some rougher, more natural trails as well. Fairly smooth rocks, and huge roots in some areas.

Forgot to add: I'm in Southeast Michigan. Poto and Brighton (Torn Shirt) are 10 minutes from my home. DTE is about 20 mins.

They all tend to be dry hardpack with a layer of sand (with fairly blown-out corners), which is surprisingly slippery. The DHF grips amazingly in those conditions.
I know you guys will crack up over this: but I will sometimes run a DHF front with a Race King rear. Works really well on DTE. Not so much on sections of the Poto and Torn Shirt.

The weight savings is more like 200g because my DHF is 1005g.
I know weight shouldn't matter, but it does to me. I can really feel the weight on the tires/wheels. Just got a new wheelset, and lost >500g.
My trails don't have 17 mile downhills (or climbs), but they are twisty with short, steep climbs and descents. Lots of accelerations and turns, where I feel the weight.

I'm also an older guy that can't ride enough to get as fit as I'd like, so decreased weight is a way to compensate. :)

Bob

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Forekaster is a lot lighter, has great grip up front, but your rim is narrow and the tire is notoriously narrow for a 2.35. I run a DHF 2.35 and while it's a pig in the weight departmengt, the traction is awesome on my 24 and 27mm ID rims. I did not enjoy my XR4 2.4 at any psi up front or rear in my loose over hardpack. FWIW, I'm 160 pound, Cat 1 XC, aggressive yet good at picking smooth lines.

G

·
Love the cornering of the 29x2.3 DHF dual compound front tire (but, I admit the transition zone gets my attention sometimes).
I hate the weight. 1005g.

Would a cut or uncut DHR II 29x2.3 at 825g or maybe a Bontrager XR4 29x2.4 at 780g be a reasonably similar replacement?

Top Fuel, 21 or 23mm inner rims. 160lb smooth rider, don't jump or ride super rough trails.

Many thanks,
Bob
According to Maxxis...your 2.3 Minion DHF only weighs 925g, not 1005...that's the 2.5 WT version.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My tires:

DHF 29x2.30 TR 3C EXO - 970g
Magic Mary 29x2.35 Addix Soft - 859g
XR4 29x2.4 Team Issue - 768g

I'd go with MM. XR4 is fine in the front but I'd only pair it with a lighter rear tire for less gnarly stuff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.