Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
I tried the Lefty as soon as it came out and was impressed. I've never purchased a bike with one, but did race on a couple. While I've heard lots of folks dis them, I must admit that the only reason I never had one is because of what they were attached to. :eek: Only now you can use a kit and put them on anything!

BTW, what all do you carry with you when you ride?? :eek: ;) Just kidding. Thanks for the pics. I'm enjoying the recent posts with pics of chicks riding some technical stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Nice trail.

The lefty gets no love--must be a looks thing. Sadly, this is undeserved as it is a great fork, and excels in stiffness and small bump sensitivity. Light too.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Razorfish said:
Interesting. There's at least two things this single sided has to do that a traditional fork doesn't. Twisting and torsional forces. What size/type axle is in that?
???

a single sided for has to do what with twisting and torsional forces?

The torsional forces should be less ON THE BIKE with the single leg since there is only one 'side' of the fork that is twisting.

Sure one 'fork' has to take all the impact forces and compensate for them. This fork was designed to take these forces.

If you can imagine only one leg being impacted the effect on the bike should be less.

Make sense?

I did find it easier to keep the front tire straight on sketchy loose trails.

The axle is tapered, 18mm to 16mm if I recall correctly. I'm currently gathering that information.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,395 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
I tried the Lefty as soon as it came out and was impressed. I've never purchased a bike with one, but did race on a couple. While I've heard lots of folks dis them, I must admit that the only reason I never had one is because of what they were attached to. :eek: Only now you can use a kit and put them on anything!
Love the Lefty - other CDale, not so much. Here's my fave combo: Lefty 29er Niner

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
Of course a lefty can do that, it's got square stanchions, but the same thing that makes a headshock or lefty so rigid also limits it in terms of total travel and design capability. These forks use needle-bearings just like the old headshock forks. Only one stanchion (strut) is necessary with this much rigidity, but there are other negatives to the system in terms of friction, lubrication, seals, and such. It also requires a dual-crown setup to have any kind of fore-aft rigidity. They are good forks for their intended purpose, but I wouldn't go hucking one too much/agressively.

It doesn't get much more rigid than square stanchions.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I can't ride anything else than Lefties now, everytime I try a regular bushing fork, it feels like it was made of Jell-O... or it weighs a ton... or both. They are stiffer in every sense: fore aft, twist, torsion... The front hub interface is also light and very stiff and you don't even have to take the wheel off to change a tire.

Lubrication and seals are no worse than anything else if you ask me. The only negatives I can see is if you are way short, the top of the Lefty can prevent using super short and super low stems. You also have to reset the bearings once in a while, a 20 second procedure that's well worth it. The bearings and bearing races will outlast bushings other forks rely on.

As for the feel and smoothness of them, it really depends what model Lefty you try. There are air sprung, coil sprungs, DLR, SPV, TPC, Fox RLC, Fox Terralogic, PBR (based on Rock Shox internals)... they each can feel very different.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
???

a single sided for has to do what with twisting and torsional forces?

The torsional forces should be less ON THE BIKE with the single leg since there is only one 'side' of the fork that is twisting.

Sure one 'fork' has to take all the impact forces and compensate for them. This fork was designed to take these forces.

If you can imagine only one leg being impacted the effect on the bike should be less.

Make sense?

I did find it easier to keep the front tire straight on sketchy loose trails.

The axle is tapered, 18mm to 16mm if I recall correctly. I'm currently gathering that information.
I'm not saying this is good or bad design. I just saying there's many more parameters to take into consideration and vastly more forces at work on a single sided shock.

Two things:
- The lower leg of the single shock needs to be restricted in twisting or rotation. On a traditional fork this is irrelevant.

- The torsional load is the bending load on axle supported by only one side. It not only needs to resist shearing forces but also substantial bending forces. I can only assume the tapered axle you noted is for this exact reason. A traditional fork only needs to resist shearing force.

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
Doubting Thomas here...

I'll consider a Lefty, but only after it gets market penetration on the North Shore greater than 0.00001%.:devil:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Digger rode a Cannondale with a Lefty, Greg who does the work on Pipeline had a Lefty on his profit, he likes it better then the Totem he replaced it with.

I was surprised! For most of the riding people do it would work fine!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am thinking of renting a lefty sometime and trying it out. It would be about $60 for a 4-5 hr rental, so I am not sure if I want to throw down the cash.

laters-Kelly

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
Digger rode a Cannondale with a Lefty, Greg who does the work on Pipeline had a Lefty on his profit, he likes it better then the Totem he replaced it with.

I was surprised! For most of the riding people do it would work fine!
I notice that you used the past tense for both riders. Is there a lack of parts or service in Vancouver that moves people away from Lefties?

Whenever I see one, I ask the rider how long they've been riding the Shore and the typical answer is "Just recently". It'll take seeing them on a more regular basis before I'm willing to commit my own cash to one.

Hey! I rode my rigid for more than a decade before I was convinced that this suspension thing was more than a passing fad!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
I thought it was hexagonal?

I can't get the manual to load so finding the technical details has been tough.
Kind of, but I believe the bearings run on a "square" surface. In any case, "square" is simpler to describe.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
I thought it was hexagonal?

I can't get the manual to load so finding the technical details has been tough.
The lower has 4 rows of needle bearings, so it's sort of square. Each set of bearings is about 1/2" wide and has 22 bearings covering about 2 1/2" of length. Glad to hear you liked the fork. I'm liking mine still. Have one I'm thinking about tossing on the Stinky.

Monte

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Razorfish opined:
I'm not saying this is good or bad design. I just saying there's many more parameters to take into consideration and vastly more forces at work on a single sided shock.

Two things:
- The lower leg of the single shock needs to be restricted in twisting or rotation. On a traditional fork this is irrelevant.

The lower has 4 flat sets of needle bearings arranged in a square pattern, 22 needle bearings each set, 1/2" wide x about 2 1/2" long. Twisting is irrelevant.

- The torsional load is the bending load on axle supported by only one side. It not only needs to resist shearing forces but also substantial bending forces. I can only assume the tapered axle you noted is for this exact reason. A traditional fork only needs to resist shearing force.

The axle/lower leg is built stiff enough to not bend in this direction either. Substantial bending forces??? The moment arm (center of the axle) is only about 2". Think about it.

Monte

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
A 3yr Lefty user here

I test rode several FS 5-6" travel bikes before settling on the Lefty Max, SPV. :thumbsup:

I still get funny looks every time somebody sees it as they ride towards me.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.