Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pugsley was literally in pieces :(

You know the story and what Wednesday did.

She even took his headset :eekster:

His mood was going from grey to BLACK.

He begged me to help him...........to discover his DARK side.

He would not be dissuaded even though he new the risks.

His demands were extreme....... but he knew I would not let him down.

We started in simple ways and took things right down to a frame only start. Stickers were removed and rub down with rough scotchbrite revealed no lasting damage....

Next came a little substance abuse. Waxoyl was liberally applied to all available ports of entry, he began to feel better :)

A new metallic black `skin` was next ..... no other colour would be accepted.

He felt `reborn ` and ready for the next steps.

Attachments

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His needs were `heavy` and he demanded MORE !

He knew the LAW , if it `aint MOTO it`s worthless, but it meant nothing to him so he told me stamp on it HARD.

This made him cranky with a bad need for CroMo. This left me no choice but to give him the POUNDING he deserved.

The spline interface needed a good hammering (with rubber, of course :p ), but the fit was Truvativ in the end.

This made him feel ALFINE again and only the massive nickel chain would haul him back again.

But STILL he wanted MORE, so 203mm appeared at the back to his Avid approval.......

At the front only Larry would do, but he spurned Marge`s Largeness for another`s slimmer profile.

It was only at this moment that I truly understood his depravity :madmax:

Attachments

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He had seen them from the corner of his eye............

He knew that they should not be his and yet....... He still WANTED them NEEDED them .

He would not be persuaded otherwise.

There would be a price to pay he knew. He would loose millimeters, but gain INCHES :eekster:

And so we sent them away to the deep South of our country, hoping that when they returned that they would fulfil his needs.

Weeks went by...... and then they came, tuned to match Pugsley's rider and the colour he wanted with the TRAVEL he desired.

Larry made me do it (he whispered), all that grip, all that bite, I just HAD to try.

A bigger crown was needed for a royal result.............

BEHOLD the madness of Dr Frankengood and Pugsley !

Yes a Maverick DUC32 with 47mm trials rim and Larry (`natch).

Is it good? OH YES, is it right ? that`s for you to decide .......

Attachments

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Also, I'm curious of total build weight of your bike - got to be inching towards 40 lbs with that Alfine hub and big old fork. Jealous.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys :)

The Big Black Beastie is 42lbs as pictured.

Despite the changes from the previous incarnation, the weight has remained the same.

The DUC32 has been languishing on the garage wall for the last 4 yrs since I made the move to 29er and then Fatbikes.

It really WAS Larry that persuaded me to try this `chopper` combination.

I liked the SC32, but (given my mass) I felt it was a little lightweight for me.

No such issues with the DUC, especially as I had it serviced and tuned for my weight :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Something monstrous has been created. Terrified parents rush their children off the beach as soon as the THING rears its head between the dunes. Soon, it will find itself pursued by ignorant locals wielding pitchforks and torches. Little do they know what it is capable of...

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
space49 said:
Impressive looking ride. :D What tire pressure are you running with the 47mm rims ?
At a guesstimate approx 12 to 15 PSI.

Roughly the same again at the back.

I do weigh 260lbs so perhaps this is more than some of our `lighter` brothers :D

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The ride is great. :) loving more travel up front.

I had the DUC`s custom tuned as per Maverick`s recommendations for a rider of my mass.

They are way better than when I had them on a Tomac Eli years ago.

Running Larry on the 47mm trials rim gives `just` enough clearance at full travel. I`ve mounted helicopter tape on the inner legs the prevent damage to the anodizing from any rub.

DUC is a MUCH stiffer fork than the SC (for obvious reasons) :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts