Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's a first time for everything, i guess...

went out this morning with friend Rob to ride TRW & Hawes. about 1½ miles in, while climbing the straight section of TRW: KAPOW, CLUNK, BOOM the chain fell off and the pedals went dead. what the heck??!! i stop, look down, and to my horror i see the rear derailleur split in two pieces. what the heck???!!!

since neither one of us had a 2.5 allen to remove the dangling hanger and make the bike a "single speed" i rerouted the chain and started the trek back to the car.

what i'm thankful for: i did not crash. the chain did not break. it was not 110°F. it was not that far a HAB. i can replace the broken parts of a SRAM X.0 and don't have to buy a new derailleur. and finally, while i w8 for the parts to come in, i have another bike i can ride!

below are some pics. any ideas from them as to what might've caused the failure? i'm not that hard on bikes...

tia, ms kaboose

Attachments

G

·
I've done the same thing to 4 different X.0's. They last a while, when they go, its pretty much catastrophic.

I will give you this bit of advice. New cages for X.0's run between $90-$100 retail, but they are basically the same thing as some of the 09 X.9 cages. So what I do is just buy a X.9 for $100 and swap the cage, which leaves you with a spare derailleur body if you ever need it.

There is one caveat with this work around though, not all X.9's have removable or composite cages. So your best bet is to go hunt around the local shops and see who has a X.9 in stock with the removable composite cage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bummer

Hey Sativa,

That stinks the cage broke. Sounds like you have a replacement cage to switch it out with.
I'm glad you weren't going to fast or that could have been much worse. At least you can ride your other bike till it gets fixed. :)

Rod

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merost said:
Simple fix: Get rid of the derailleur. One gear is all you really need and you don't have to worry about such inconviences. ;)
been there, done that, and sold it well. this girl prefers cush and gears. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
I've done the same thing to 4 different X.0's. They last a while, when they go, its pretty much catastrophic.

I will give you this bit of advice. New cages for X.0's run between $90-$100 retail, but they are basically the same thing as some of the 09 X.9 cages. So what I do is just buy a X.9 for $100 and swap the cage, which leaves you with a spare derailleur body if you ever need it.

There is one caveat with this work around though, not all X.9's have removable or composite cages. So your best bet is to go hunt around the local shops and see who has a X.9 in stock with the removable composite cage.
Something similar just happened to my X.0 three weeks ago. Except, mine blew up where the cage connects to the RD body and the spring shot out. I looked in the typical places - Jenson, PricePoint, and Universal Cycles - online, but couldn't find anywhere that sold parts to replace the cage. I even found directions on the Park Tools website. I just bought a new X-9 for $69, and the bike is running like new, so I am good. But as a side project I would like to find a way to overhaul the X-0. Where do you find these parts and a new cage?

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pynis McDermott said:
Where do you find these parts and a new cage?
i called jeff at performance and they looked it up for me. to replace the cage is ~$100. not worth it imo. while nothing is wrong with the body, i can't see spending that much on a 4-yr old derailleur. so i'm leaning towards an X9.

WHERE DID YOU FIND ONE FOR $69?????:eekster:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So much for that "Blackbox technology"-love those XO's, but my wallet doesn't! X9 seems to shift just as good, heck even the X7 in med cage is pretty quick. No great answer as to how that happened, did the same thing to my X9 about 2 months ago-looked like deja vu!!

·
Need more cowbell
938 Posts

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Carbon fiber that's thin like that, doesn't handle any lateral rock impacts well at all. Have you ever layed your bike down on the derailleur side while stopping to rest, and the derailluer gets pressed up againts rocks? It's just a wear item.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
highdelll said:
What!!??
no multi tool??
yes, we both had multitools but only with 3, 4 and 5mm. no 2.5.
i guess you get what you pay for!
that CB is indeed nice but bulky, heavy and expen$ive!
(jk, i'm not a w8 winnie.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.