Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Charleston, West Virginia area is gaining a few more trails right now. A few years back, the female landowner of a large plot of land in the South Hills region donated the land to the city's parks and recreation department. They developed it into a "park" designed solely for hikers and bikers. No horses, because it's inside city limits, no ATVs (and they're actually taking preventative measures), etc. Right now it consists of one main trail, and another that branches off into possibly private property (they're trying to get cooperation with the landowners, but nobody really owns the land, its just being developed there).

Anyways, the main parking area (which is small) is at the end of Adrian Rd., which is a spur off of South Ruffner Rd., right before South Ruffner really begins its uphill ascent. From here you can ride-out Adrian Rd. to South Ruffner, then turn left and climb up the hill. This is quite a climb... I might add. Anyways, eventually you will get to the top, which is ironically, right around the corner past the cemetary. Here the road flattens out... keep your eyes out on the left side of the road for a trail into the woods. It should be marked with ribbons in the trees. It's hard to miss. Begin your descent here. This is a very steep trail, with the typical WV-downhill standards of roots, rocks, loose dirt, and of course, some mud. After the first downhill section, the trail seems to level out, then plunges down a second fall-line around a left-hand corner, which is immediately followed with a right-hand corner. Here you will cross a small stream, and head past a pile of tires (unless they get picked-up soon). You will come to an intersection, take the trail on the left, then at the next intersection, take the next left. I know, the trail straight across at the 2nd intersection looks like fun, but you can't go anywhere on it but up it and then back down.

This next trail will take you through an open field, across a fairly long northshore-style bridge (which I and a friend are graciously building for the city), then into a sharp, but banked, bridge over to the final section of trail. Here you will ride out to your car, and either load-up your bike and head home, or take another loop.

Pictures will be posted ASAP.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
Sounds great! Can't wait to try 'em out Maybe next time I'm in town, I'll give em a quick spin.

Did you hear about how they changed the Black Bear course all around? I WAS sooo looking forward to this race, but they've cut out alot of the fun trails. ie: Teaberry, Pine Ridge, Ballard. They did leave in Black Bear and Mossy, but that's it. I decided after talking with Lowcel, that I'm not going to drive back to Charleston to do this race if they're going to dumb it down that much. All well, hopefully they won't bother with Coopers that much.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just glad I'm not going to be here to lead a protest against that change. Woo... I'm leaving, on a jet plane that day... to go backpacking for 12 days in New Mexico, for 72 miles, and to climb to the summit of a 12,500 foot tall peak. Sadly, there's no mountain biking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.