Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
laxman2001 said:
just put some Thompson's water sealant on it.
That's a prototype, the production model will use cyprus wood so no worries about water rot, staining, or fungus

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Wooden bikes are nothing new.
I like it just because the builder is trying something a bit unusual. Obviously I haven't got a clue if it will work great or not. Looks like it might be a bit wide in the knee area.

*** I cannot weld but some time ago, I was thinking that I might be able to hack together a road bikish frame out of timber, or maybe a recumbent ***

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Cool, cable housing needs some routing clean up though.

Yep, nothing new here, but they used Hickory, and one piece of it at that.....
Craig, those old-school classics are way cool...but that other piece of Trailer Park Technology don't cut it!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Here's an old one I saw at a museum:

built by a nine year old kid in 1890. He could not buy a bike but there was timber and some hand tools around the house...

More wooden bikes:
https://bikerodnkustom2.homestead.com/woodeye2.html

*** and of course you knew that bamboo is a great bike material, especially if you can get it to grow to the right shapes. Just ask Craig Calfee or some others who are doing that

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
perttime said:
Here's an old one I saw at a museum:

built by a nine year old kid in 1890. He could not buy a bike but there was timber and some hand tools around the house...

More wooden bikes:
https://bikerodnkustom2.homestead.com/woodeye2.html

*** and of course you knew that bamboo is a great bike material, especially if you can get it to grow to the right shapes. Just ask Craig Calfee or some others who are doing that
Check this one out, some people just hung up on form instead of function:madman:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts