Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a uswe backpack style hydration pack. When I rode in so cal it wasent bad,when I did shorter rides I just used a bottle in the cage. Now that I moved to az,it just makes me overheat when it’s on my back. I’m looking for a good hip pack with a bladder that has good padding and a nice padded
Strap/buckle system. What are you guys running? Looking for real opinions on some hip packs

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Wingnut.

Pro-tip, do not order directly from his site.
Use his site to find a store with one in stock and buy it from them.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
I have a Camelbak, can't remember which model, but it sucks big donkey balls. Never liked wearing it. If you fill the bladder, there's no room for anything else.

I'll try to dig it up to see which model it is, all I know is that it's an older one.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
running cabmleback podium with bottle - suitable for Bike Park only, since you have 24 oz bottle only, however quite comfy and could be paired with frame bottle;

As a trick you can use flexible bottles, and put into pack itself for the additional hydration;
I'm not a fan of hip pack with shoulder straps, super awkward

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,056 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of my Evoc, it's an earlier model and it's hands down impossible to adjust (tighten) the straps on a ride. They got some crazy system that they thought was a good idea, but you can't pull a strap or tab to tighten them, and these feel fairly different full vs. empty, in other words you want the ability to tighten it. But apart from that it's decent. Pair with a frame bottle or two and it'll get you pretty far IME.

Reactions: Bhamss

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the Evoc Pro 3L for a minute, returned it, and bought a Thule Rail hip pack 4L. The Thule has almost the exact same excellent waist strap system as the Evoc, but with a slightly flatter profile that sat a little bit better for me. Still doesn't hold much when the bladder is full though, but has an excellent magnetic retaining system for the drinking tube. Sold out everywhere, so I ordered from Europe and it was actually cheaper than Stateside.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tried the hip pack thing once... the one from Camelbak. Same issue as above that once the water is in, it's really got no more space. I mean, it kinda did, but my main hangup was that it would be putting pressure on my phone in ways that I'm certain would have eventually resulted in damage just from normal use, let alone in any sort of crash.

Then I eyeballed one from Osprey (I use a lot of their gear for backpacking and it's absolutely top notch) but I saw some in person and they were the opposite... friggin huge.

I also found that the hip pack didn't seem to help with sweat buildup as I wanted (I'm also in AZ) but instead just relocated it from the middle of my back to my waist.

I eventually ditched that route and tried out one of these vest type packs designed mainly for runners:

Absolutely fell in love. It surprisingly doesn't hold heat in like its looks might suggest, stays ultra-snug and close so there's no flopping around no matter what I'm doing on the bike, and the cincher was that it has pockets on the front which are fan-damn-tastic for my phone. Super quick and easy access to snap a quick photo or do a map check, and so far that location seems to keep the phone pretty well protected in some crashes.

Only issue was that it barely fit my wallet and keys after adding water, so I then upsized to the next size up. It stays just as snug and compact as the smaller one when I'm not using the extra space, but gives me a little extra space for snacks, gopro batteries/accessories, glocks, etc. =)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tried the hip pack thing once... the one from Camelbak. Same issue as above that once the water is in, it's really got no more space. I mean, it kinda did, but my main hangup was that it would be putting pressure on my phone in ways that I'm certain would have eventually resulted in damage just from normal use, let alone in any sort of crash.

Then I eyeballed one from Osprey (I use a lot of their gear for backpacking and it's absolutely top notch) but I saw some in person and they were the opposite... friggin huge.

I also found that the hip pack didn't seem to help with sweat buildup as I wanted (I'm also in AZ) but instead just relocated it from the middle of my back to my waist.

I eventually ditched that route and tried out one of these vest type packs designed mainly for runners:

Absolutely fell in love. It surprisingly doesn't hold heat in like its looks might suggest, stays ultra-snug and close so there's no flopping around no matter what I'm doing on the bike, and the cincher was that it has pockets on the front which are fan-damn-tastic for my phone. Super quick and easy access to snap a quick photo or do a map check, and so far that location seems to keep the phone pretty well protected in some crashes.

Only issue was that it barely fit my wallet and keys after adding water, so I then upsized to the next size up. It stays just as snug and compact as the smaller one when I'm not using the extra space, but gives me a little extra space for snacks, gopro batteries/accessories, glocks, etc. =)

That's a really interesting alternative and it looks like it would be hot to wear so I'm surprised by your comment.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Have the Dakine with the 2L bladder. It is okay and will work pretty well. Just picked up the EVOC that has the 1.5L bladder and pocket type things for extra bottles...way better pack and more expensive by far. I have not tried the others.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Love my Evoc Hip Pack Pro.

I usually run one bottle in the frame and one in the pack. Plenty of water for 2 hour rides. If going longer I can swap to bladder or two bottles in the pack. One bottle in the pack doesn’t end up making it feel awkward or off balance. Plenty of room for snacks, tools, phone, key…

Unless I’m going on an epic ride or it’s simply cold enough, I don’t see any reason to reach for my full packs at this point.

·
Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
I have an old Wingnut Enduro and love it, but it's too large for the riding I do these days. I recently bought the Dakine 5L. The Dakine might be a great hip pack for day hikes, for people with waists smaller than mine. For MTBing, not so much. Don't even think about the Dakine if your waist size is approaching 40. Seriously.

I'm waiting on a Wingnut Two Point Five I ordered direct at the end of July. I sent email early last week asking if they could estimate when it would ship. I was told "later this week". That was 10 days ago. I just now checked the order status, it still shows "Pending" as it has since August 1.

I don't think there's anything shady going on here. Wingnut has been around for well over a decade. I'm more inclined to believe the guy who runs it is just bad at running a business.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On lighter rides where it's not 115F outside, I think the Evoc hip packs are really nice. The 3L version has a very nice wide and comfortable fit. Storage is a little on the smaller side and you won't be packing nearly as much as a Dakine hip pack. However the Evoc has 2 spots for bottles at hips, so you can supplement your water capacity with more. Sometimes I have one on my bike, 2 bottles with the Evoc hydration bladder.

However pack vs pack the Evoc is clearly better. Unless you need a hip pack that's more biased towards storage capacity and willing to sacrifice the waist belt, then the Dakine is the one to go with IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the osprey seral 4 and I really like it. It’s not so big that it gets in the way, but it has plenty of room for what I carry. The straps are also easy to tighten. I dare you were considering the Evoc. Definitely spend the extra money in the pro if you do. I returned the standard because the straps were hard to adjust.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.