Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a good laugh when seeing this bike that was purchased from Amazon and assembled by the owner. At least the handlebars are in the right direction. Maybe the bike is more stable with the added amount of fork trail?

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Last year I noticed a neighbor who was riding their bike after assembling it themselves. Specifically, I noticed that they’d installed the handlebars upside down (shifters above the handlebar, brakes on the wrong side, negative handlebar rise, etc).

I casually mentioned that they may find it more comfortable, and easier to shift if they returned the handlebars to their usual right side up orientation, and offered to do it for them if they wanted.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last year I noticed a neighbor who was riding their bike after assembling it themselves. Specifically, I noticed that they’d installed the handlebars upside down (shifters above the handlebar, brakes on the wrong side, negative handlebar rise, etc).

I casually mentioned that they may find it more comfortable, and easier to shift if they returned the handlebars to their usual right side up orientation, and offered to do it for them if they wanted.
I wonder how many product liability lawsuits are going to be generated by the trend towards having consumers assemble bikes sold direct-to-consumer.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sometimes get turned around in my own head but wouldn't that "set up" reduce trail quite a bit
... 🤣
It reduces wheelbase, but increases trail. Longer fork rake reduces trail.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts

Then what happened?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wonder how many product liability lawsuits are going to be generated by the trend towards having consumers assemble bikes sold direct-to-consumer.
Very very very few

consumers have the option of getting professional help; but almost none need it

how about Home Depot selling garage disposals directly to consumers who use a youtube video to install it?
how about auto zone selling pistons or head gaskets consumer direct?
how about Walmart selling an electric Barbie Jeep for a 3 year old in a box?

i would rather setup 10 bikes than setup one of those damn electric kid cars again - and I had to do 3
Each one took me about 4 hours in the garage on a Christmas Eve
Holy crap; getting the decals on alone almost drove me nuts
And one had two missing parts that I had to work around
However, I did not sue toys r us

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My perception is that bikes are one of the few actual transportation devices that we allow consumers to assemble themselves. Even an unskilled rider can easily get up to a speed of 20-25 miles an hour on a slight downgrade. I wonder how safe going that speed is with all of the possible ways that a bike can be put together incorrectly especially handlebar/stem direction and position/adjustment of brake levers.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
@J.B. Weld Do people realize that they have assembled a bike incorrectly or are the bikes just brought in for general maintenance?

Both. Some bring them in because they don't work and some bring them in just for a once over. Pretty much all that are brought in for a once over need quite a lot of corrections.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
Both. Some bring them in because they don't work and some bring them in just for a once over. Pretty much all that are brought in for a once over need quite a lot of corrections.
I'd imagine that the sellers are blissfully unaware too.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My perception is that bikes are one of the few actual transportation devices that we allow consumers to assemble themselves. Even an unskilled rider can easily get up to a speed of 20-25 miles an hour on a slight downgrade. I wonder how safe going that speed is with all of the possible ways that a bike can be put together incorrectly especially handlebar/stem direction and position/adjustment of brake levers.
This is strange statement

who is we?
how do ‘we’ have the right to stop people from assembling their own bike, or scooter, or motorcycle, or car?

my son drives legally on the streets a car he built by hand in our garage; are you saying ‘we’ (whoever that is) should have the right to stop him??

when I was a kid; my father and I built by hand in our carport; a motorbike - I road it for years
should the government have stopped me?

today, you can buy Motorcycles and scooters consumer direct and build them in your living room
I see nothing wrong with that

i believe in personal freedom ; not in a self appointed ‘we’ that decides who can assemble their own bike, motorcycle , or car — or who can install their own garbage disposal

limiting freedom is a slippery slope

1 - 20 of 21 Posts