Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like a good deal to me, does it to you??

From Costco.ca:

Diamondback Mission 2 - $1799

Frame: Aluminum
Fork: Fox RL 140 mm
Fox Float R rear shock
27 speed, SRAM X-7 trigger shifters
Shimano Deore derailleur
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic
TruVativ Firex 3.1 crankset
Pedals: FPD 365
Sun Metal Equilizer rims
Tires:
Front: Kenda K881 26 in. x 2.10 in.
Rear: Kenda K891 26 in. x 2.10 in.
Spokes: Stainless steel
Seat post: 30.9 mm alloy (300 mm length)
Minor assembly required
Seasonal tune-up suggested

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually, I don't think that's such a bad price as compared to the retail price of the Mission at other local bike shops. It's nice that Costco is using it's buying power to actually sell bikes that will actually hold up off road. I'm not really familiar with the model so don't know how well it works but there are a lot of great bikes at that price point and better spec. Jamis Dakar's for example, are great bikes with good spec for the money. Jenson is always blowing out last years model for about $1500.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yes and no

Frazam said:
This sounds like a good deal to me, does it to you??

From Costco.ca:

Diamondback Mission 2 - $1799

Frame: Aluminum
Fork: Fox RL 140 mm
Fox Float R rear shock
27 speed, SRAM X-7 trigger shifters
Shimano Deore derailleur
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic
TruVativ Firex 3.1 crankset
Pedals: FPD 365
Sun Metal Equilizer rims
Tires:
Front: Kenda K881 26 in. x 2.10 in.
Rear: Kenda K891 26 in. x 2.10 in.
Spokes: Stainless steel
Seat post: 30.9 mm alloy (300 mm length)
Minor assembly required
Seasonal tune-up suggested
It's a decent entry level freeride bike.

But...

Keep in mind Costco is going to do nothing for you for pre-sales fittings, post sale tune ups or any service at all, pretty much. You are going to be on your own with this bike. You better know your way around bikes, or expect to pay the local bike shop to take a look every time you have a hiccup or need a derailleur adjustment.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
pimpbot said:
It's a decent entry level freeride bike.

But...

Keep in mind Costco is going to do nothing for you for pre-sales fittings, post sale tune ups or any service at all, pretty much. You are going to be on your own with this bike. You better know your way around bikes, or expect to pay the local bike shop to take a look every time you have a hiccup or need a derailleur adjustment.
true, and also many who would buy this type of bike know how to repair anyhow, so it might not be a factor.

the other thing - costco's outstanding return policy! you can return some items up to a year later for a full refund including shipping charges! that might not apply to bikes though. check with customer service.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Buy bikes from bike shops, not department stores. No one at Costco can help you fix your bike, give you upgrade tips, maintenance tips, riding tips, riding partners and tips on local trails. Also around here local bike shops sponsor riding clubs, racers, races, and even whole race series -- they're the backbone of the local riding scene. A couple hundred extra sometimes goes a very long way.

·
Cookin' in AZ
238 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
Buy bikes from bike shops, not department stores. No one at Costco can help you fix your bike, give you upgrade tips, maintenance tips, riding tips, riding partners and tips on local trails. Also around here local bike shops sponsor riding clubs, racers, races, and even whole race series -- they're the backbone of the local riding scene. A couple hundred extra sometimes goes a very long way.
Does it really matter to the bike shop where I bought my bike? If it is a real mountain bike (not a WalMart bike) why would a LBS care as long as I am going to them for service/upgrades.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Berge said:
Does it really matter to the bike shop where I bought my bike? If it is a real mountain bike (not a WalMart bike) why would a LBS care as long as I am going to them for service/upgrades.
1. Yes of course it matters since they make money on bike sales, and the sale keeps them in good standing with the bike manufacturer. And 2. Most riders tend to go to the shop they purchased the bike from for repairs -- and most shops look favorably upon people who've bought bikes there.

And all this is a second thought anyway -- it's a bike shop -- they sell bikes. Buy your bike there and keep main street USA alive. F*ck Costco which does nothing for your community. Bike Shops keep our sport alive.

·
Cookin' in AZ
238 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
1. Yes of course it matters since they make money on bike sales, and the sale keeps them in good standing with the bike manufacturer. And 2. Most riders tend to go to the shop they purchased the bike from for repairs -- and most shops look favorably upon people who've bought bikes there.

And all this is a second thought anyway -- it's a bike shop -- they sell bikes. Buy your bike there and keep main street USA alive. F*ck Costco which does nothing for your community. Bike Shops keep our sport alive.
I think it would be foolish for a bike shop to only service the bikes it sold. If I moved to a new state I couldn't take my bike to the LBS I bought it from. So in that case the new LBS would not care where I bought the bike from.

I think that most shops make their money on service not sales. They can service a lot more bikes then they sell.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Hey NJ-XC-Justin, I think your rant belongs on another forum. Maybe the passion forum??? This forum is about the best deals not about supporting your LBS. If you like paying more for parts and such then keep paying your LBS. And if by chance your LBS has a great deal let us know. Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Besides, Costco does do something for the community. They hire people in the community, pay them more than most stores do and give them benefits, sell stuff cheaply to families and pay a lot of tax to the city, state and government. To achieve all this, they take less margin on what they sell so choose to be slightly less profitable so everybody involved benefits. That's far more than Wall-mart does.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok stop giving personal opinions about what you think about costco, its about the deals, this is a decent deal, but probably not the best especially for someone who can not repair, maintain their own bike. but if your looking for a mid lvl free ride bike then go ahead, it not a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
JoelovesDirt said:
Hey NJ-XC-Justin, I think your rant belongs on another forum. Maybe the passion forum???
True, my apologies for going off. We've had two more bike shops around here close this year and it's starting to get a little worriesome with more people buying their bikes online, and sometimes -- egad! -- at department stores. The Mission gets props and I'm sure you'll like it -- just be aware buying a bike is like buying a puppy: the purchase is just the beginning. Good luck -

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Yep.

NJ-XC-Justin said:
Moreover shop-rats spend a ton of time fixing the hack builds and "DIY" tune-ups from unexperienced assemblers. I would be amazed if a Cosco/Wallmart build did not have any serious problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.