Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what marin should have received more than 2 week ago, for the moment no answer.
Dear Marin

I'm owner of a marin team titanium bought some years ago, some months ago i've notice on the frame, near the cranks a strange sign like a small deep deformation (is not possible for me to take a good picture with a camera) so i've written by email to the italian assistance ([email protected]) to have some information.

I'd like to know if is dangerous to ride with my frame...

The answer i've received are:

Your bike is not a Marin.

So I send the serial number T6hac044 to the assistance but they aswered to me :

Your bike is not a Marin

I took some picture of the bike and resend it to the assistance....

Some days after they wrote:

your bike is a Marin but made in taiwain and the warranty is limited only 5 years after the purchasing....

I wrote again asking other information but the italian assistance catalogue me as spam and so no more information.....

I've spent a lot of money for that good bike but probably the next one won't be a Marin.....

Thank You very much for a very good assistance.

I've reported all on some mtb forum.....

Thank you again

After some days i've written to MARIN .COM twice but always no answer....
Thank you

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Could you throw a picture up of the frame. I'm kind of curious to see what it looks like. I unfortunately no longer have my catalogs from the end of the 90's to ID the frame, but hopefully it will jog my memory.

As far as the frame goes, since you got a Titanium frame, you're still in luck. The only hard part is finding who repairs Ti, but like steel, is very repairable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Marin is a stand up company.

For legal reasons, I'm sure they are not commenting on the integrity of the frame without seeing it in person.

You are also out of the warranty period. What would you like them to do? They are not obligated to help you.

Your email is very vague. For them to offer any type of assistance, they need to know details. Call the Marin head office in California to discuss with them.

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I agree with SRU. Marin is a stand up company.
Your letter to Marin is very vague. You mention you "bought this bike some years ago". What does that mean? Do you mean that you bought this bike 5 years ago, 10 years ago, be specific. You said "is not possible for me to take a good picture with a camera". Well give it a shot anyways. Overall, what exactly do you expect? If the only thing you really want is an answer to "I'd like to know if is dangerous to ride with my frame." Well that's a no brainer. Yes it is dangerous to ride any bike with a small deep formation from a legal standpoint. What I suggest you do is go back to the shop you bought the bike from or go to your local Marin dealer and start there.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Since you are out of warranty period, Marin probably won't help you, stand up company or not. If you want to know if the frame is still safe to ride, any good bike shop should be able to examine it and give you an opinion. Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the developement of my Marin Trouble

"Marin is a stand up company.

For legal reasons, I'm sure they are not commenting on the integrity of the frame without seeing it in person.

You are also out of the warranty period. What would you like them to do? They are not obligated to help you.

Your email is very vague. For them to offer any type of assistance, they need to know details. Call the Marin head office in California to discuss with them."

Thank You for the answer but...

1)I've sent two email to marin.com and till now i've no answer;
2)i've written to the assistance in Italy the problem asking them if it was necessary to see the bike...they catalogue me as spam and so i call the international Marin and that's why i'm writing on this forum...
ps i've given to the italian assistance also some pictures but it's quite impossible to see the small deep deformation on under the crankset...
3)"They are not obligated to help you." so you think they doesn't want to keep a good relation with a client?only because some years are gone....

I'm still waiting, i've tryed to send some pictures on the mtbr.com but they are too large....

By by

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
other informations

remenber that FIRST OF ALL i've given also the serial number of the frame.....AND TOLD THE NAME OF THE SHOP WHERE I'VE BOUGHT THE BIKE....

·
Registered
293 Posts
"so you think they doesn't want to keep a good relation with a client?only because some years are gone...."

Tito, I not defending Marin. I made those comments because I feel you are being unreasonable. You purchased a product with a warranty. The warranty expires. You notice damage to your frame. You ask for help and get none because your warranty has EXPIRED!!! You get pi$$ed and start slamming the company whose product you bought.

I don't see what your issue is. I sure wish Honda would do after warranty work on my car for free to keep good relations with me. Heck, I'd be a customer for life (if they where around in 5 years), and it would save me $$$$$.

I can understand your frustration of having a damaged bike but let me ask you this. If you where running a business manufacturing products for consumers, would you offer a warranty on the products you are manufacturing? If so, would you honour the warranty after the warranty expired? .........I thought you wouldn't.

Your in Italy, Marin is in the US of A and your warranty has expired. Take it to the Marin dealer where you bought it and have them look at it. If its safe, cool, go riding. If not, have it repaired. If it can't be repaired, strip it down, swap your parts to your new frame (manufaturer of choice) and throw the frame in trash.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try with a honda or toyota dealer....

The question is Assistance, when You ASK something to someone who sold You A thing i think they have to give you an answer and not catalogue you as spam....i don't want a new bike or the money i've spent, i want an answer....if marin sell only bike and " it doesn't matter about assistance of the clients old and new probably earns too much with bikes....and one more or one less is the same....
i think that if you should have bought a HONDA twenty years ago and now you go in a service Honda asking information for a problem of your car you'll get a good answer and not a door on your face...or words about the elapsed time of the warranty...i think honda try to keep o good relation with clients...Marin, for what about me, not at all.

Try a honda or toyota dealer....

Bye

·
Registered
890 Posts
Man, you guy are not the most helpful. Ask a company like Turner or Ventana or Knolly while your bike is out of warranty and observe the difference. Someone needs to help the poor guy out by at least ASKING for more information.

A couple of "Your bike is not a Marin" messages and and then inclusion as Spam is unprofessional, weaksauce, and pretty damn pathetic for a professional org. Take five minutes and at least direct him to the Italian distributor or dealer. They may be able to recommend a frame builder who can examine and repair the frame if needed.

Tito - post some pictures of the full bike. Some here may be able to at least suggest next steps. Also take it to your local Marin dealer and ask for help. It is pretty obvious that US Marin wants you out of their lives, not even wanting to offer advice as to where to go or what to do as next steps. And some of you guys are even freaking worse..you ought to be ashamed for being so damn defensive and practically attacking someone asking for help and posting here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@BlueMountain: I agree with every last word you wrote.

Lack of response(s) from Marin tech support, wrong (and intentionally false) infos on their web site etc are the reasons of my (and girlfreinds) 'transfer' to the other brands... and all of that after buying three quite expensive Marin MTBs we think are really great. I've also had plans to buy Indian Fire Trail, but I've ended up with nice carbon XC bike from one (not so known) European company. My GF on the other hand just recieved Spec Demo 7 frame (oposite to Quake that was planned earlier).

I really hope that something will change regarding Marins customer support... because great bikes simply can't compensate for the lack of tech support or pathetic warranty on frames (only one year for the Quad frames? I mean, come on, really... I get 3 year warranty for $200 no-name LCD display).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think we are getting the whole story. You have a bike you can't identify, with a problem you can't describe ("a strange sign like a small deep deformation") or photograph, and are frustrated that you didn't get the only response a company could possibly give: Take it in to dealer and have them look at it.

I think these posts that complain about a particular experience do a disservice. Everyone has had a bad experience with a good company. I don't know if yours qualifies as a legitimate complaint, but if it does, I would say it happens, get over it.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
gremlyn said:
@BlueMountain: I agree with every last word you wrote.

Lack of response(s) from Marin tech support, wrong (and intentionally false) infos on their web site etc are the reasons of my (and girlfreinds) 'transfer' to the other brands... and all of that after buying three quite expensive Marin MTBs we think are really great. I've also had plans to buy Indian Fire Trail, but I've ended up with nice carbon XC bike from one (not so known) European company. My GF on the other hand just recieved Spec Demo 7 frame (oposite to Quake that was planned earlier).

I really hope that something will change regarding Marins customer support... because great bikes simply can't compensate for the lack of tech support or pathetic warranty on frames (only one year for the Quad frames? I mean, come on, really... I get 3 year warranty for $200 no-name LCD display).
Gremlyn,

What was your lack of tech support/poor customer service? I underdstand you on the warrenty on the frame compared to some other companies, even though they have a life time on the pivots/bearing in europe, and ten years in the US.

I'll I can remember about any problems you had with marin was that you were bent out of shape about marin updating/upgrading their quakes in 09 to better specs then what you had in 08 and for a cheaper price? (If I wrong, please inlighten me) Which I think is insane reason to be pissed off. I wish all bike companies were making better products and charging less for it :skep: .

Sure marin could have went more out of there way then they did, but the guy from the info he shared here (and if thats the same info he shared with marin) didn't go out of his way to provide marin with enough info to do anything other wise then what they did.

Sru summed it up nicely:

"You are also out of the warranty period. What would you like them to do? They are not obligated to help you.

Your email is very vague. For them to offer any type of assistance, they need to know details. Call the Marin head office in California to discuss with them."

Bunk

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
BlueMountain said:
Man, you guy are not the most helpful. Ask a company like Turner or Ventana or Knolly while your bike is out of warranty and observe the difference. Someone needs to help the poor guy out by at least ASKING for more information.

A couple of "Your bike is not a Marin" messages and and then inclusion as Spam is unprofessional, weaksauce, and pretty damn pathetic for a professional org. Take five minutes and at least direct him to the Italian distributor or dealer. They may be able to recommend a frame builder who can examine and repair the frame if needed.

Tito - post some pictures of the full bike. Some here may be able to at least suggest next steps. Also take it to your local Marin dealer and ask for help. It is pretty obvious that US Marin wants you out of their lives, not even wanting to offer advice as to where to go or what to do as next steps. And some of you guys are even freaking worse..you ought to be ashamed for being so damn defensive and practically attacking someone asking for help and posting here.
Yes marin is a good company, but comparing them to Turner or Ventana or Knolly which frames cost more then a complete marin bike is different. They are in a different league for a reason (price and bike). And I've seen on this board the opposite with marin too, going out of there way to replace someone swing arm when it broke and it was out of warrenty. It isn't absolute either way. I''m not trying to defend marin ,but put it in perspective.

People on the board have asked for more info, which the op wasn't able to provide. Sure marin could have went more out of there way then they did, but the guy from the info he shared here (and if thats the same info he shared with marin) didn't go out of his way to provide marin with enough info to do anything other wise then what they did.

Sure some off the poster could have handled helping him better, but most of them did the best they could with the info they have.

I do think Sru summed things up nicely:

"Tito, I not defending Marin. I made those comments because I feel you are being unreasonable. You purchased a product with a warranty. The warranty expires. You notice damage to your frame. You ask for help and get none because your warranty has EXPIRED!!! You get pi$$ed and start slamming the company whose product you bought."

Good suggestion on going to a marin Italian distributor or dealer. Since really thats what the op should have done in the beganning, and worked through the chain of command, plus someone could have seen the bike in person, and probably could have told him right then and there if he had a problem or not. Because obviously the op needs the hands on/ close-up help that marin USA can not provide.

tlwood99 said it similar:

"I don't think we are getting the whole story. You have a bike you can't identify, with a problem you can't describe ("a strange sign like a small deep deformation") or photograph, and are frustrated that you didn't get the only response a company could possibly give: Take it in to dealer and have them look at it.

I think these posts that complain about a particular experience do a disservice. Everyone has had a bad experience with a good company. I don't know if yours qualifies as a legitimate complaint, but if it does, I would say it happens, get over it."

I agree

Bunk

·
Registered
150 Posts
farmboybunk said:
Gremlyn,
...even though they have a life time on the pivots/bearing in europe, and ten years in the US.
Yeah, right... I'm sure that I'll get new bearings for free if I report them damaged... and they did get damaged in a last few months of riding. I won't even try to contact importer about that problem...

farmboybunk said:
Gremlyn,
I'll I can remember about any problems you had with marin was that you were bent out of shape about marin updating/upgrading their quakes in 09 to better specs then what you had in 08 and for a cheaper price?
In fact, I had few complaints regarding that maxle dropouts even when bike was brand new. Here's the thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=296860
Notice the dates of posts and my complaints regarding the 150x12 maxle dropouts. I didn't know until later that maxle dropouts wasn't even produced then. Pure false adversiment from Marin side... because of which I have ordered very expensive wheels, and then had to custom made 150x12mm dropouts to fit them to Quake.

Some more info:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=365148

In conclusion; I've (custom) built my girlfriend a bike around Specialized Demo 7 II '08 frame, and I've ordered myself a complete Demo 7 II '09. Thanks to Marin for the great bike I still ride, but that is most definetly the last Marin I have bought. Marin bikes are great, but customer support and few other things really suck. I don't want to leave any more money on bikes/frames with poor warranty and false advertisments from the company that makes them...

Damn, I can't wait for my Demo to come :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it's so hard to believe in other people?

I owned a marin team titanium.....bought from an ex official seller....it was a very very good bike....i rode it for long time and with great pleasure.....
then i note on the frame a defect and i wanted to ask to the new owner of the brand some info......
the answer had been: "NOT IT'S NOT A MARIN BIKE" IF IT'S A MARIN THERE IS NO MORE WARRANTY!!......

i dont need to be pay from the new marin seller and i dont want to ask for a new bike i was only looking for assistance.....

A guy asked me for that bike and i sold it for a cheap price....
i wont never buy a new marin from the new owner/seller
that's all....

you can believe or not believe what it happened....now i will ride my SCAPIN WOLFGANG R

CIAO CIAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.