Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Go faster
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a LBS and today I recieved a call from John Castellano. I have never talked to him before today, but about a year ago I emailed him asking if it was possible to make a fango 29er and he said the rear CDE shock limited the wheel size on that design... so I mentioned that email today and he gave me some news that he was coming out with one in the beginning of next year...anyways...
he said the is in the process of developing a silk-ti 29er... he could only do the 29er in Ti and that the frames would be close to 3grand a piece. He also said he would be building them as they are ordered...
Pritty exciting I thought... :D
If this is old news sorry for the repost

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
HellMuttCracker said:
I work at a LBS and today I recieved a call from John Castellano. I have never talked to him before today, but about a year ago I emailed him asking if it was possible to make a fango 29er and he said the rear CDE shock limited the wheel size on that design... so I mentioned that email today and he gave me some news that he was coming out with one in the beginning of next year...anyways...
he said the is in the process of developing a silk-ti 29er... he could only do the 29er in Ti and that the frames would be close to 3grand a piece. He also said he would be building them as they are ordered...
I had an Ibis Ripley, it was fantastic.

I would be very excited about a Silk Ti 29er. One concern though is that if you remember, Silk Ti's were never offered in a XL, the biggest was a stright L with a 24.0" ETT, if memory serves, which is why I bought the Ripley instead, as it was offered in XL's. The only reason I ever got from talking with them was that they didn't feel Ti was stiff enough to sqeeze a XL frame out of that design without it being too noodly. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about it, just that's the only info I had...unfortunately though, I already bought my 3k frame ti softtail 29er...

·
Registered
314 Posts
A Ti FS 29"er...sounds noodly to me. Combine the leverage that the larger wheels have, not to mention the flex of most wheels as well as the notoriously flexy Silk Ti frame...for $3k? i'll pass...

I want a real softail 29"er with 1-1.5" travel and full lateral stiffness.

-tk

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Whats the point of titanium soft-tail???

HellMuttCracker said:
I thought the big advantage of titanium is that it's flexiness could soak up bumps a lot better than stiff aluminum. On soft-tails, that job is given to the rear shock. So whats the advantage of a titanium soft-tail over an aluminum soft-tail. You won't get any benefit from the flexiness. If it's a weight issue, you could just go with a carbon fiber.

You can buy an entire Trek Fuel 90 for $3000 with a carbon fiber frame. What would the advantage be to buying a $3000 titanium full-suspension frame for the same price?????

·
Registered
241 Posts
TommyKnocker said:
A Ti FS 29"er...sounds noodly to me. Combine the leverage that the larger wheels have, not to mention the flex of most wheels as well as the notoriously flexy Silk Ti frame...for $3k? i'll pass...

-tk
I was always under the impression that the Silk Ti was the standard for stiffness in softail frames? I was *this close* to buying one last year, and the reviews seemed to agree that it trumped the YBB due to the ti plate that served as the chainstay.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
that would be a dream bike...

i own two softails, a dean duke and ibis ripley (both are baby, 26" wheeled frames). both were in the classys but i ended up fooling around with my dean duke and found out that 32x18 fits perfectly. so it's now set up ss, as a second bike behind my rigid 29er ss. i really would like to use the ripley as an ss (i feel the frame/shock design of the ripley/silk ti are the best out there in terms of softail design), but i have heard that john castellano recommends using a chain tensioner (which i do not what to do). i guess he feels that the chainstay length changes as the frame goes thru it's travel. that's kind of hard to believe since it only gets about 1.25" of PIVOTLESS travel.

i have emailed john to see if 29" wheels would be an option for the new batch of silk ti frames he's going to be making...and he never responded to my emails. he also didn't respond to an email i sent him about converting my ripley to a single speed. this response from him (or lack thereof) led me to believe that he just doesn't care for 29er or SS set ups.

a mtbr member that frequents this board had told me thru a PM that he had contacted castellano because he was interested in a custom 29er silk...if my memory is correct...john castellano scoffed at the idea of 29" wheels on a mtb.

"So whats the advantage of a titanium soft-tail over an aluminum soft-tail"???
one of the answers is more pivotless travel. the ripley frame gets about 1.25" of travel, and silk gets about 2". i think the fatigue strength of ti versus carbon is also much much more. not to mention, if carbon fails, you be pickig carbon fiber splinters from you @ss (carbon failures are "catastrophic").

"notoriously flexy Silk Ti frame"...curious, ever ridin' one?
i had a chance to ride one for a short while...well, actually a long climb...and it was great!!! i am about 6'2" and 185 pounds., so i am not a huge, but i couldn't notice any flex...it seemed just as stiff as other frames i have owned in the past. out of the reviews for the silk ti frames, there are only a few that complain of flex. i can't imagine a flat plate of ti that's about .25" thick being twist very easily.

nathan, i think a xl sized ti frame would ride find. my duke is an xl, and it's not flexy at all. but, i think a frame with a lower standover and a massive downtube would help with front end flex. i guess the builder could even use a tt brace to the st to give the shock support and also add stiffness.

also, give us a ride report on that mooto soon!!!

HellMuttCracker said:

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
"""
willtsmith_nwi said:
I thought the big advantage of titanium is that it's flexiness could soak up bumps a lot better than stiff aluminum. On soft-tails, that job is given to the rear shock. """

not exactly: it's not the "flexiness".. you will have a stiff ti frame deflecting, absorbing, calming down whatever... the trail vibrations. on soft tails, the rear frame is flexing, controlled by a shock. it's the flex of the frame on the FS that's absorbing , not the shock...

"""""So whats the advantage of a titanium soft-tail over an aluminum soft-tail?
more travel. longevity of the frame..""""

You won't get any benefit from the flexiness.
yes , you do! that's why you bouoght a FS frame... cause they flex!

""""If it's a weight issue, you could just go with a carbon fiber.You can buy an entire Trek Fuel 90 for $3000 with a carbon fiber frame. What would the advantage be to buying a $3000 titanium full-suspension frame for the same price?????
""""

longevity.. carbon brakes. sometimes... but w/ disastrous results. another advatage is: you can have a custom ti frame. try asking trek for a custom carbon frame.. not even lance gets one. why? do soem research on frames, materials and production,

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
TommyKnocker said:

-tk
notoriously implies repeated mentions and this is the first time i see the silk ti described as flexy. did i miss something on the last 3 yrs since it's introduction?
have you actually ridden the silk ti? maybe you think "notoriously" is a cool word to throw around the internet?

·
Registered
314 Posts
colker1 said:
notoriously implies repeated mentions and this is the first time i see the silk ti described as flexy. did i miss something on the last 3 yrs since it's introduction?
have you actually ridden the silk ti? maybe you think "notoriously" is a cool word to throw around the internet?
WOOOOOOOO...down boy. "Notoriously" means that I have obviously heard or experienced something that you have not. Next time I want to "throw a cool word around the internet", I will be sure to ask your opinion to see if you agree.

Next, the use of the word implies that -
1. my many excursions (another cool word) on a silk Ti has shown me that they are flexy and prone to shock slop. These problems are sure to be accentuated by the larger wheels.
2. as a former shop owner and mechanic specializing in only high-end bikes, I have experience that many or most people will never accumulate. I have ridden, owned or worked on about every bike out there since 1990.

As a wise man once said..."whatever".
-tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.