Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a Fox 100 RL on my 02 SB with the 5.25" travel kit with a Fox AVA in the back. Well the fork it was broken in a car accident while the bike was on my rack.

I need a new fork and don't know what to get.

My choices are:

Fox 100 RLT
Fox 100 X
Fox Talas
Manitou Minute 3
Rock Shox Reba
Other?

I liked my 100 RL and had good luck with it. I like the idea of SPV and travel adjustment. Anyone using these forks? Anyone have any comments? Thanks

· Stand back
4,208 Posts
2nd the Talas

I started out w/ a Talas on my 5.25" SB and swapped it out for a Firefly. The Firefly was the better fork for me (even tho it's weight and height made climbing more work) b/c it was lots stiffer and steered where I pointed it better. But for a trail fork and making the SB more versatile, the Talas is the better fork (esp if you weigh less than 190 lbs). Look into getting it Pushed if you want a stable platform-ish feel.

· Registered
152 Posts
I run a TALAS on my fixed 5" travel SB. I find ~4.5" on the TALAS is a good all-around setting; at 4" it's too twitchy, at 5" it wallows on uphills. The TALAS is great for this reason beacause I couldn't get 4.5" with any other fork. I don't love it however. I'm thinking of getting it PUSHED.

I tried a Minute 3 for a while and found it to be much harsher than the TALAS (assuming 2 months enough time to break in) although the SPV works great. It's also hard to set up.

· Registered
106 Posts
TALAS: splitting hairs

I got an 02 SB early this year. I have added the 5.25 rockers and an 04 propedal rear shock. I have an 04 TALAS R fork
I pretty much bought into the long travel trail bike hype and I do love this bike, but as I ride more & more different trails I am seeing that more front travel is not always better. For rough downhill, absolutely! But when I was out at Victor Falls recently (very tight and twisty up and down stuff) I dialed the travel down 4 or 5 clicks and it really felt better for those conditions. More maneuverable, but still with really good shock absorption when needed.
For long low gear climbs, the balance is a lot better with the travel dialed down even more. Steering twitchier, but balance better.
Actually I think the benefit comes from the change of wheel base, head angle, and trail dimension, rather that changing the travel...... but either way I think TALAS is a pretty worth while feature even though you have to stop to use it. This is coming from a definite "set it & forget it" type of guy.
The 05 TALAS is supposed to have more travel and I assume they had to increase tha axle to crown height to do that. My guess is that you would do most of your riding with the travel reduced some, with the flexibility to add travel and slacken out the head angle when conditions call for it.

As far as the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing, all I can say is the Fox works better than any of the other forks I have had (as well it should, at the price)

· Old Fart at Play
636 Posts
Ditto

I love the TALAS. You can adjust the travel (and thus the head angle and trail) to adapt to different terrain and it works great at every setting. For tight singletack, it carves best right around 100mm (4.5 inches in back). Imagine that! I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment other than to say that Fox has been totally reliable, so far, on both ends of my bike.

· Registered
897 Posts
Love the Talas

Love the Talas too (02 Blade with the 5.25"). Dial it down on low climbs, dial it up on long descents. Keep about one turn from full extension for normal stuff. Rocks! Just about to get my rear shock pushed and maybe even the Talas pushed (although there is not any info on Push's website about it).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.