·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
No Bikes Allowed

Sort of a bad sign for mtn biking is the emphasis on the "Greg Ball Memorial" angle, since I noticed, when last HIKING the loop, that the NEW Greg Ball Trail at Wallace Lake is VERY bikeable....but it instantly had a "no bikes" sign put up.

i.e. Just as long as you go into volunteering on this with the understanding that its likely you will NOT be allowed to RIDE any of the resulting trails.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This doesn't really pertain to the article, but in reply to the post...

As a hiker I must admit sometimes it's nice not to have to walk through mud that's left by bike tires or move out of the way of bikers that don't care if you're stepping in mud or falling off a trail to "kindly" let them pass. I think some trails should be for hikers only - and leave the more rugged ones to bikers anyway!
As a new mountain biker I feel your pain though. We are lucky enough in Bellingham to have many trails to ride on

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Being a mountain biker and dealing with the WTA is a fine line. The Grand Ridge trails Dave is working on are and will be bike friendly though. The Greg Ball Trail is a real bummer. I rode it a few times prior to the "no bikes" signage and thought it really was an awesome descent. But, I'm torn on continuing to poach it because no bikers that I know of built it. Just the hikers. So, why should'nt they have it? The sad thing is that Greg was really learning the way of the mountain biker and working with the BBTC to educate both parties before he passed away and probably would have preferred to have the trail multi-use or at least open to bikes on odd days like the Middle Fork Trail.
What's even wierder about the GBT is that it WAS open to bikes until it was finished and the signage went up as stated by the local rangers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.