Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I finally went clipless. I got the Time ATAC Aliums. I really like the feeling of being clipped in, but I have been having a hard time getting out in a hurry (probably just need more practice). Do the Times have a "break-in" period of some sort?
Also, I haven't really had the chance to do much trail riding since it has been pretty muddy here, but how do you guys ride clipless pedals on the technical areas of the trail? Do you stay clipped in or do you ride unclipped? If you unclip how do you stay on the pedals? I know the Aliums have a larger place for your foot than some of the other pedals I was looking at, so how do you prevent your feet from slipping off and either eating some handlebar or crushing the boys?
I just got my new seat in. I decided to go with the WTB Race Speed V. It had pretty decent reviews and for only $20 at supergo, I just couldn't pass it up. I just got it last night, so I haven't had much time to ride with it. But when I was putting the seat on I noticed these numbers on the rail (ranging from 0 to 30, I think). What are they for? I didn't see any mention of them on the packaging I got.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Times...

Unsane said:
First of all, I finally went clipless. I got the Time ATAC Aliums. I really like the feeling of being clipped in, but I have been having a hard time getting out in a hurry (probably just need more practice). Do the Times have a "break-in" period of some sort?
Also, I haven't really had the chance to do much trail riding since it has been pretty muddy here, but how do you guys ride clipless pedals on the technical areas of the trail? Do you stay clipped in or do you ride unclipped? If you unclip how do you stay on the pedals? I know the Aliums have a larger place for your foot than some of the other pedals I was looking at, so how do you prevent your feet from slipping off and either eating some handlebar or crushing the boys?
I just got my new seat in. I decided to go with the WTB Race Speed V. It had pretty decent reviews and for only $20 at supergo, I just couldn't pass it up. I just got it last night, so I haven't had much time to ride with it. But when I was putting the seat on I noticed these numbers on the rail (ranging from 0 to 30, I think). What are they for? I didn't see any mention of them on the packaging I got.
If you new to clipless pedals its going to take time to get used to um. One thing that sped up the release on the times was shaving down the cleats to reduce the amount of float (lateral and vertical). If you go to www.speedgoat.com they sell the shaved cleats and have a pic on there website that i downloaded, then enlarged and used as a template to shave my own cleats using a rasp and dremel.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Not to worry. You're on the corrcect track and there's no need to shave them. Just use them and you and the cleats/pedals will eventually reap the benefit. Patience.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Stay clipped in ALL the time, except when you're falling off or stopping. After a while it becomes second nature. You can still unclip for a quick dab if necessary, but I try to avoid that.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
fred3 said:
Not to worry. You're on the corrcect track and there's no need to shave them. Just use them and you and the cleats/pedals will eventually reap the benefit. Patience.
I stay clipped in all the time. You will find that it becomes second nature to unclip when you really need to. The times you have to watch out for is when you are on the pavement pulling up to all your buddies, stopping kind of slow and at the last minute try to unclip to put your foot down. Those are the times for some reason you can't unclip and fall right over at a dead standstill. Yep, those are the ones to be concerned about. ;)

As far as the seat rail numbers, don't worry much about what number you set the seat at. Set it where it is comfortable to you. I think they are just there to help you with the adjusting of the seat. If they weren't there it may be difficult to tell where you had it set before when trying to dial it in for the perfect fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.