Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am building a Giant TX29er from scratch. I already have a Large frame + a lot of bits and pieces. Now I do not really know what to buy as regards seatpost and stem...

I weigh 73-75kg (160 - 165 pounds) and am 1.86 m tall (that would be ca. 6' 1'' I think).

The questions are:
1. What seatpost length should I go for? 350 or 400mm? ATM I am not planning to get a dropper post, just a standard one.
2. Shall I purchase a post w/ an offset or a straight one? If offset - what should it be?
3. What stem length should I go for? 60mm? Longer maybe?
FWIW I am thinkinbg of buying a wide bars - between 750 and 780 mm.

How light can I go with the components here? I intent to do light trail riding, no large drops or very rocky terrain. And I do not want to break the bank with carbon, so am looking rather at alu parts.

What would be your advice?

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
I'll chime in with a few points since I'm 6' 0" and 165 lbs and have a TX29er. I'm on a size large and had the dealer swap the stem to a 50mm. I currently have the stock 730mm width bar and I'm using the stock dropper post which I'm guessing is close to 350mm.

I absolutely love the 50mm stem. It feels like a great compromise for long climbs and a good descending position. I would certainly not go longer than 60mm.

As for the seat post, I'm using the stock dropper which has some offset, but I'm running the saddle a little bit forward in the clamp. I would say go for a straight post like a Thomson. Since the seat tube angle is slack, when you raise the post to your proper height the slack seat tube angle will help to increase the "cockpit" length slightly. You don't want to get too much weight over the back of the bike or the front tire will start to wander on you while climbing due to a rearward weight bias.

As for components, I think a sensible aluminum build with 1x11 or 1x10 (with 42t cog added) drivetrain would easily get you in the upper 20's without a problem depending on your wheels, tires and fork that you choose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info & measurements. They help a lot :)

As for the lightweight components - I should have been more precise. I already have the majority of other stuff (cranks, wheels, brakes and what not).

So I am specifically looking for seatpost / stem / handlebar recommendations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts