Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I undertsand right that cxrays are stonger than normal spokes and therefore more preferred for heavier riders. The only problem is cost...right. Also 05 american classic hubs (rear)specifically states it has a 17mm axle. Is that a thru axle? The picture of the hub apart doesnt show it going thru but this might be do to digital manipulation. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, they are not "stronger". They have a higher elastic limit, but with a thinner cross section, they are not stiff, and they higher elastic limit does not really offset the thinner cross section.

Still, they are quite strong, and with propper tension work well for almost any rider. Elastic spokes can actually hold up better than stiff (thick) ones, if the thicker ones loose thier tension under load.

I'd expect the AM axle is machined from a 17mm thick blank, and is thinner where it needs to be, such as the ends where it goes into the drop outs.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
cx rays

The best I understand CX Rays is that because of ther elasticity, under a big impact, the spoke most affected by it stretches which allows neightboring spokes to assist in the load bearing. This enlarges the area of the rim, which "takes" the hit, which in turn allows your wheel to take larger punishment. At the same time, your wheel will be prone to "flex" more, meaning, that under side load, like turning, cornering, your rim will move further away from the center of its unloaded position that a rim built with conventional spokes. This might affect your steering precision. I actually only run CX Rays in the rear and revolutions up front. Another side effect of CX Rays is that it is hard to mount a cyling computer. Some people opt for a single round spoke in ther front wheel build, just for that purpose, or two, to balance out the one that has a magnet on it.

_MK

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
CX-Rays are stronger than other spokes of the same (very light) weight. A heavy rider may still be better off with a 14/15 DB spoke than a CX-Ray.

The ends of the AC hub axle are 10 mm to fit in the dropouts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.