Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The cat's name is jake
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this isn't annoying - I know I've posted several welding and machining pictures lately. I finally succumbed to the dreaded smartphone last weekend (cringe, please don't groan and hit me - I'm still a Facebook-free holdout, if that means anything to anyone [that's next week]) and had fun taking a few photos with it. Don't feel required to pat me on the back or anything (unless you really want to) - I'm just having fun, and hopefully you'll enjoy looking at some bike photos.

7005 type Aluminum, 5356 filler
Mode of transport Product Floor Line Metal

Blue Azure Electric blue Cobalt blue Composite material

Blue Line Technology Electric blue Azure

Machine Steel Workshop Engineering Nut

Stainless steel to cro-mo (309L filler)
Mode of transport Yellow Text Photograph Line

·
The cat's name is jake
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Scott.

90% of what I weld is probably steel, 10% aluminum (rough guess). I've been welding 1 or 2 aluminum bikes a week for several weeks. Some weeks there are 3 or 4 aluminum bikes (some tandems, some singles), other weeks I won't see any aluminum at all. I made an aluminum ladder the other day through my side business as a subcontractor for another outfit, but even then, most of that work is steel ("architectural" products mostly, not terribly pleasant material to weld).

I don't weld titanium, at least currently. I actually tried talking the shop owner into it the other day, but they just don't have the interest. I can understand why, to some degree. It's not even that great of a frame material, in that it creates additional challenges for arguably negligible benefits. I'd still like to play with it though, and if I ever had the chance to do some real piping work with it, wow - that would really be stellar (that is not likely to happen however). I will most likely make a frame out of it at home someday just for the experience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dude, always inspiring. Please keep them coming!

I had the opportunity to try a Dynasty the other day. Incredible. Now I understand what you've been saying about these machines. I didn't have much time or material, so I didn't get to experiment too much. I settled in at 100 Hz and a balance of 65% in this. I've never been able to get rid of the grainy look on 5XXX series rod with my machine. This was a ton of fun. The only bad part is now I have to save for one!

Trying out a Dynasty by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks, Scott.

90% of what I weld is probably steel, 10% aluminum (rough guess). I've been welding 1 or 2 aluminum bikes a week for several weeks. Some weeks there are 3 or 4 aluminum bikes (some tandems, some singles), other weeks I won't see any aluminum at all. I made an aluminum ladder the other day through my side business as a subcontractor for another outfit, but even then, most of that work is steel ("architectural" products mostly, not terribly pleasant material to weld).

I don't weld titanium, at least currently. I actually tried talking the shop owner into it the other day, but they just don't have the interest. I can understand why, to some degree. It's not even that great of a frame material, in that it creates additional challenges for arguably negligible benefits. I'd still like to play with it though, and if I ever had the chance to do some real piping work with it, wow - that would really be stellar (that is not likely to happen however). I will most likely make a frame out of it at home someday just for the experience.
Hi Peter,
Sorry for the super late reply- it's near impossible to reply from work, which has been busy lately!
I've always been intrigued by titanium as well- but I've never had the opportunity to weld it. Is it similar to steel while welding? I think with my weight and riding style that it wouldn't ever make a lot of sense for a bike for me, but it sure makes great looking bikes.

When you weld architectural products, do you still use TIG, or do you use other processes?

I have to say, your job looks really fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.