Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been getting in some really good post-work rides at our local spots and a buddy of mine sent me a couple of photos of me riding the Karate Monkey.

I'm enjoying the 29er experience more and more as I get used to the bigger wheels and get used to get a little air and landing on the bigger wheels.

Couple of things that are annoying me a bit with the Monkey are when leaning the bike over for fast cornering, I have to be careful of pedal strikes, and when climbing rocky uphill sections I again have to be very focused on where my pedals are so as not to bang em on rocks on either side of the line I'm taking.

Anybody running 170mm cranks on their Karate Monkeys and if so, did that little bit of extra clearance help at all??

·
( )
755 Posts
What trail is that? It looks familiar.

I have 180s on my monkey and I usually get a few pedal strikes per ride, sometimes unclipping my foot in the process. The trade off is a very stable feeling ride so i just try to anticipate where the pedal strike could happen, and I've gotten better at ratcheting my way through rock gardens. I don't want to give up the 180s, and I figure if I buy a bike with a little bit taller BB, I'll still have problem on those trails that have a little bit taller rocks.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those photos are from the West Hartford Reservoir in Connecticut. Good riding spot that's five minutes from my office.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah one other thing - are any of you guys running an exiwolf up front and something a little more grippier in back? See the exposed rock in the photos? Well the exi tends to slip out on that type of rock from time to time.

What's a grippier rear tire that I could try? Ignitor?

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
The low BB was probably my primary annoyance when I ran a KM as my primary mountain bike. I haven't measured the BB on my Vulture, but it's at least 12.5" with the EBB in its current position, and I like it that way.

The Klaw is my favorite all-around rear tire. Even when it isn't muddy.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely giving my Race Face bashguard a good work out. and I'm sorta glad I'm running LX cranks vs something high falutin because my cranks and pedals are taking a beating.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
GlowBoy said:
The low BB was probably my primary annoyance when I ran a KM as my primary mountain bike. I haven't measured the BB on my Vulture, but it's at least 12.5" with the EBB in its current position, and I like it that way.

The Klaw is my favorite all-around rear tire. Even when it isn't muddy.
My DeSalvo BB is at 13". Running 182mm cranks and haven't hit a pedal yet..:)
Low BB's are lame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts