Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a frame - thanks to Cloxxki's sticky thread

A quick thanks to the threadstarter and contibutors to "where to buy the 29er goodness" sticky thread. Last week I started going down the list in that thread, calling all the shops and asking for a 29er frame "in stock" and ready to ship. After talking with a bunch of shops, I came up with 3 options ... a KM, Voodoo or a Dos Niner. Then I called a shop on the west coast of Canada (Oakbaybikes) and guess what ... they had a new-old-stock 2003 17.5" GF X-Cal frame. It even had the disc mount adaptor included that I would have had to buy seperately. Total price ... $326 shipped.

One of the shops I talked to tried to dissuade me from buying the GF saying it rides like a "school bus", but honestly the specs on it (other than the bottom bracket) are so close to what I would have spec'd on a custom frame that it should fit just right.

BTW, this is the second time I've bought something from a shop in Canada (the other time was a complete Norco Fireball) and both transactions were smooth with really friendly shop people and excellent pricing.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GF x-cal disc brakes?

Just wanted to add a question ... if anybody reading this can explain this ...

This frame was a "new bike takeoff" (if a frame can be considered that - it was stripped down for parts). The shop said that the GF 29ers were not selling very well in their part of Canada and that GF offered a signficant discount on these stripped frames. So the shop bought a few of the frames directly from GF. What I'm wondering is, what was a 2003 X-Cal doing with a disc mount on it? GF's archive site indicates this model came with V brakes.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Suicyco said:
What I'm wondering is, what was a 2003 X-Cal doing with a disc mount on it? GF's archive site indicates this model came with V brakes.
it may have come with V's, but nearly every frame sold for years has disc mounts...that way you can upgrade if you so choose...in fact, most bikes now also come with disc compatible wheels/hubs, such that now your only purchase is the disc brakes themselves...you don't have to buy new wheels, etc.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ncj01 said:
it may have come with V's, but nearly every frame sold for years has disc mounts...
Just for clarification, the frame came with the actual adaptor , its not just "disc compatible". I may be wrong, but I don't think Trek/Fisher bikes came with the adaptor if they were spec'd with V brakes.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Actually the very first 29" GF's were all V-brakes, and all came with the adaptor, as far as I know. The adaptor thing has to do with GF's close proximity to Hayes, which had a disc mount standard of their own for a long time. Politics meant that GF's had non-so-practical adapators up till recently. The bike does look clean without it, running V's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.