Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on the Six today at the shop, first day off in awhile and decided to fix my busted rear der. hanger, my "no pressure" rear back brake and install my new spring. I got the rear der all dialed in, did some lubbin', took off the shock to put on the new coil and low and behold the bottom bolt that slides through the linkage plates is bent...wtf. So I looked at it a bit more, ran to a few hardware stores and found nothing to replace it with. Is this a common thing in this style linkage? I know my shock is under sprung, and I didn't do anything too large, just a few rock drops maybe 3-4 feet or so the other day but that's it. I put the bolt in the vice and straightened her out, but I wanted to get a new one on order, do I contact the bike manafacturer or the shock co.?

On a second note, my rear (2005 hayes 9) disc brake decided to loose all pressure on my last run last weekend. So today I dialed it in, got it pressurized, put it back on the bike etc. It was working fine but when I got home I pulled the bike outa the truck to ride up to the door and no pressure...I checked for leakage, nothing, all hardware tight, etc. I've had several hayes 9 sets in the past, and I know how service them, but this is baffling me, any suggestions? I'm also really not liking the idea of a "plug" on the perch that you bleed through, I mean a "plug"??? I could see some sort of screw but this plug that just pushes in and out is a bit scary to trust while doing 35mph down a slope...

Anyhow,
20 miles on the bike later and a bent rear shock bolt, back brake pressure, and a rear der hanger. The later two aren't really defects, but that bolt has me a bit worried...

I'm still lovin' the way she rides though, all problems aside.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SamL3227 said:
thats a bit weird but i wouldnt worry as long as after thats fix nothing else happens. if it does id start to get a weeee bit worried
The rear der hangar is normal, any time you hit rock fields and your der hits one, it's going to bend or snap, thats why they make replaceable der hangars, that's their purpose. The rear brake issue is pissing me off though, It could be something as simple as a small rubber gasket hole allowing air in, I don't know, but it's pissing me off.

The bottom shock bolt is what's got me though, they aren't supposed to bend, but I guess if the shock coil was under sprung, and I blew through all of the travel on a drop, something has to take the force... Maybe I just got a weak bolt from a weak batch, what sucks is that no one caries them, so I have to special order. I just hope it doesn't f' up my bearings or bushings in the mean time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.