Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Looking at picking up a DA RD and have a few Q's. Yes, I could have posted in the Drivetrain section here, but I figured i'd get more response here (probably the only time you'd hear me say it!).

So;

1) on Shimano's mtn rd's they have two holes on the cage to adjust spring preload. Does the DA RD have this also? Read here if you don't know what i'm talking about - http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=76 (yes, i'm aware they show a road RD in the pics - this doesn't tell me if the newest one has this or not - i'm looking for confirmation here)

2) is the main difference in this found ONLY in the cage length, or are the parallel links also shorter?

3) is there any truth in practicality with the newest RD having a wide link being better for durability? We know how the marketing department works - i'm looking for fact based on experience here.

As always - PATIA!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Hey all!

Looking at picking up a DA RD and have a few Q's. Yes, I could have posted in the Drivetrain section here, but I figured i'd get more response here (probably the only time you'd hear me say it!).

So;

1) on Shimano's mtn rd's they have two holes on the cage to adjust spring preload. Does the DA RD have this also? Read here if you don't know what i'm talking about - http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=76 (yes, i'm aware they show a road RD in the pics - this doesn't tell me if the newest one has this or not - i'm looking for confirmation here)

2) is the main difference in this found ONLY in the cage length, or are the parallel links also shorter?

3) is there any truth in practicality with the newest RD having a wide link being better for durability? We know how the marketing department works - i'm looking for fact based on experience here.

As always - PATIA!
i've never changed spring tension on my DA derailleurs...never needed to. they are as durable as XTR , work flawless...what else could you ask for?

but: yes - they also have that other spring position option. if i remember right even my carbon cages have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Anyway to get the da to work...

with a 34t cassette? Man that would solve my problems with the xtr rapid rise being unnatural when used with any of my shifters to include my xtr DCs. Is it possiple to switch parts from the lower assembly of the 960 RR to my dura ace derrauller? Thanks

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
rjpstoked said:
with a 34t cassette? Man that would solve my problems with the xtr rapid rise being unnatural when used with any of my shifters to include my xtr DCs. Is it possiple to switch parts from the lower assembly of the 960 RR to my dura ace derrauller? Thanks
sorry - i have never used a 34 cassette.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks bro

nino said:
sorry - i have never used a 34 cassette.
I think I mght try tommorow. Any thought on what might one to look for when setting up? Any guru suggestions for the experiment? I am running xtr 11-34 cassette with xtr cranks, xtr chain,and boone rings (26/36/46). Any guidance would be wonderful:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
check the specs

Make sure the DA will work on a 34 tooth sprocket, for starters. From shimano website

total capacity for gs cage(larger of two) 27T, yours is 34T

Max total cap. 37 T, yours is 44T assuming an 11-34 rear

I know shimano is a little conservative with their numbers, but I'd be sure this will work for you. To me it doesn't seem like it would.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
most important...

rjpstoked said:
I think I mght try tommorow. Any thought on what might one to look for when setting up? Any guru suggestions for the experiment? I am running xtr 11-34 cassette with xtr cranks, xtr chain,and boone rings (26/36/46). Any guidance would be wonderful:thumbsup:
most imoprtant is correct chain lenght! don't expect it to work with your current chain lenght! the derailleur is much shorter so the chain needs to be shortened compared to the lenght you run on your regular MTB derailleur. if the chain is too long the short derailleur will have problems in keeping the chain tensioned on small cogs/small chainring gears (like 11 or 12 26 in your case)

shorten the chain so it barely accepts big cog/big ring (34/46 in your case). this way the derailleur should be all streched but still allow the cranks to be turned.

you can try older 9s DA 7700 derailleurs as well. those weighed 193g. the actual 10s version RD-7800 weighs 181g. OR get the long caged triple-version of the 7800 which weighs just 190g as well. this way you won't have any trouble at all. might be worth saving trouble...

·
Registered
916 Posts
DA, Ultegra or 05 derailleur will not work on the 34t sproket of the 11-34 cassette...

End of story (Even if you put a 11t or put a very long b tension screw)

The parralel link also seems shorter...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i run an old 1999/2000 Ultegra RD (short cage) with an Xt Cassette 11-32 Shifting is amazing, shorter cage seems to shift a lot better under load. I tried to put an upper 10t pulley from an old XT derailleur but i did'nt liked the shifting (probably the pulley was worn, lots of sideplay) Anyways I just puted a longer b-tension screw and kept my 11t pulley and it work like a charm... My chain is only 106links if i remember correctly, maybe less i don't know how much link my brand new chain had, but i needed to remove 10 links.

22t Front = 11 to 32 works
32t Front = 11 to 32 works
44t Front = 11,12,14,16 works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.