Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,

Well Im caught by the 29er bug. Now which one to get??

Ive been riding 26" full sussers for the past few years and now its time to go 29 and I am having abit of issues working out what frame to go??

First of all I like the idea of the Dos Niner having 1inch rear travel for those long days in the saddle, but am thinking this may make for a bobby climber out of the saddle or run as SS. Can the rear shock be pumped to prevent this issue?

I also want a frame that I can run SS and change it to gears if I want to.

The Niner SIR nine looks like abit of a goer but I am a tad scared of going HT again.

Anyone have any other ideas.
Im willing to spend upto $800 on a frame.

Regards,

Clinterous

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Clinterous said:
HI there,

Ive been riding 26" full sussers for the past few years and now its time to go 29 and I am having abit of issues working out what frame to go??

First of all I like the idea of the Dos Niner having 1inch rear travel for those long days in the saddle, but am thinking this may make for a bobby climber out of the saddle or run as SS. Can the rear shock be pumped to prevent this issue?

The Niner SIR nine looks like abit of a goer but I am a tad scared of going HT again.

The Dos is a great option. It does not bob at all on climbs. You don't even need to overinflate the shock. It'd be a good singlespeed, but with vertical dropouts, it'll need some sort of chain tensioner for some gear combos. The Salsa El Mariacchi might be a good fit for you if you want to do both the single and geared thing. The Kona Kula 29 might be another good option (it's got their sliding dropouts and a der hanger). I've been scoping out one of those Kula 29 frames -- and a new one would fall well within your $800 ceiling.

You'll be able to find a used '06 dos for $800 or less too. if you can get a new one for that, good for you. you'll have gotten a great deal.

Good luck,
MG

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can pick up an On One Inbred for half of your budget. I'm yet to hear anyone say anything but great things about it. And that includes myself.

·
No Clue Crew
7,447 Posts
Don't be scared of the HT. I was in a similar position as you a few weeks ago. Our trails in AZ are extremely rough and rocky and I'm incredibly happy with my On*One Inbred. Don't really miss the FS at all.
d

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Some really good suspension seatposts out there for the days when one day you don't feel like getting out of the seat for upcoming bumps. 29" HT's are not so hard though.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
dzm3 said:
You can pick up an On One Inbred for half of your budget. I'm yet to hear anyone say anything but great things about it. And that includes myself.
True. I should have remembered the Inbred -- I'm considering one of those too. Debaser likes his a lot, and they are amazingly affordable for what you get. I like a lot of the little design touches on the Inbred too. The way they do the gussets in particular is one of my favorite little things on the Inbred.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Clinterous said:
HI there,

Regards,

Clinterous
Keep in mind that I am biased :) ....but the SIR 9 is a very good frame. I ride mine with a Moots Ti seatpost and soft tires which take a LOT of the shocks out of the HT.

Standing up a lot helps too.. :thumbsup:

Ask anyone who rides a SIr, they will tell you what a great bike it is.

R.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Aanother vote for the 29er Inbred

It will get you out there in foggy days, or the incredible summer sunsets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts