Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trails are a little slimy here and they are gonna get worse. I'm looking for a nice front fender to keep the mud off my face. I have a Manitou R7 with the reverse arch and I'm not sure what fender is compatible with that. Something small, doesn't have to be huge, just keep the mud off my face. Ideas?

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
The last issue of Bike (or was it Dirtrag?) had a review of a fender which was compatible with the reverse arch, and I believe it was also quick-release. Unfortunately I don't have my copy here, anyone?

-pete

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
presslab said:
The trails are a little slimy here and they are gonna get worse. I'm looking for a nice front fender to keep the mud off my face. I have a Manitou R7 with the reverse arch and I'm not sure what fender is compatible with that. Something small, doesn't have to be huge, just keep the mud off my face. Ideas?
The SKS Shockblade is available in a Manitou version.

(pic is the "normal" version)
https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FE1026

There are also many splash guards that attach to the down tube.

I prefer the fork mount types as they turn with the wheel and provide a bit more protection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mate save your money: cut one side of a plastic milk bottle (the square type) into a fender and zip tie to your downtube. Cheap, effective (when you turn the wheel it misses your face anyway) and easily done!

Cheers,

Baz

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Don't know about your local trails, but around here the solution is to stay out of the mud!!! In other words, don't mess up the trails.

But I think around here, our trails are more fragile than most, plus we're in a dense urban environment where trails are a precious thing indeed, with more riders per mile. Not that I don't love the mud, simply can't justify riding in it.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I got the SKS fender. AEBike also had some shoes in the daily deal I bought for my girlfriend.

I liked the milk jug idea but I'd already ordered the SKS. It it breaks or falls off I'll give it a go!

The rangers here close the trails when it gets too muddy. I assume if the trails are open it's ok to be riding on them. The last time I was riding I was wearing safety glasses but they fogged over on the climb so I took them off. Well I proceeded to hit a muddy spot and promptly shot some dirt debris into my eye and under my contact lens. :(

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Baz said:
Mate save your money: cut one side of a plastic milk bottle (the square type) into a fender and zip tie to your downtube. Cheap, effective (when you turn the wheel it misses your face anyway) and easily done!

Cheers,

Baz
true dat and some duct tape...ghetto...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.