Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A drop of KoolAid in the Italian Alps....

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  trailadvent 
#1 ·
Just had a week trying out my 05 Spot in the Italian Alps.

Suh-WEEEEEEEET!

Amazing place. Amazing views. Amazing strudel.:D

A great trip, marred only by Mrs. Xpy taking tumble and breaking her scapula on the second-to-last day :eek: . She's OK, though. Healing well. Should be back on her bike in a few weeks, and she wants to go back next year for another go :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
ya know, ya coulda stopped after the 1st pic and wed still all be happy. well done man and my best to mrs xpy's quick recovery. done that and it hurts a fair bit. hope ya have a soft bed or a recliner. those big bed pillows with the arm rests that prop ya up for readin arent bad either.

#8 ·
Hangtime - Nobby Nics on 819s is a great combo - that's what I had. Wasn't sure how they'd go in the alps, but we were doing ups with our downs so I didn't want to use anything too heavy. My wife's bike had non-UST NNs, and our Guide swears by them as the only tyres she'll use in the Alps. Must be alright, I reckon.

End result: good grip, nice rolling, great ride - Ace!

#11 ·
nice! did you go to the forst brewery in bolzano? it's great.

where exactly where you? my in-laws have a house there, and how much snow was there? I am going in 6 weeks to go skiing. and who was your guide, if she was good? I have been going every winter for years now. we are planning on spending a summer there in 2010.

you can PM me the guide details.

#12 ·
Nice picks! Sud Tirol always is a nice place to ride. We usually go to the Meran area in spring and fall. Thinking about going for a long weekend 2nd weekend of October. But as you guys already experienced some snow and with this cold front we have now...

#14 ·
Thanks folks....

Cheers for the kind words and healing vibes for the missus, all.

Nice to be able to share pics from what was a *really* good trip, broken bits excepted!

JH: You're a lucky man having access to a property in the area. Beautiful place. Amazing riding - I barely scratched the surface in the week we were there. We didn't get to Bolzano - nearly got a free ride there in the mountain rescue ambulance, but they redirected to Merano when they learned we were staying near there.

There wasn't actually that much snow there at the time - only lasted the first day, and only really on the tops. As Uzzi says we've just had a bit of a cold snap, though, so wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a blanket up there now...

I'm very happy to recommend our guide - Diz runs an MTB tour co in Kaprun in Austria, but is now running tours to Italy after she found out just how great it is there. She's fantastic too. Really puts the effort in to looking after her people and what's good for them.

Her website is: http://www.overtheedgebiking.com/

Send her my regards :)

Few more pics if you're keen...

Edit: Fella with the sausage is Xpy jr!

Attachments

#17 ·
Xpy said:
Cheers bro - it's a beast!

I keep forgetting to wind the forks back out for the photos after the climbs tho:...:D
Still looks good, you enjoying the CCDB on her, my buds enjoying the CCDN on his spot heaps!

Is that raw or sparkle silver, I dig that color next Tuner might have to be like that, the new black! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.