Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a simple fix I've been wanting to try for a long time. Drill a small hole in the taco, add a zip tie - viola - no more brake line hassles. Now that the DW bikes have made all others worthless, I figured it was safe to try out the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just wondering why you wouldn't route the brake hose under and through the taco if it bothered you that much?

Buzz

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because every time you remove or install the brake you have to detach the hose from the lever and then bleed or remove any air from the system. This way you can remove the brake w/o messing with the hose. Routing under the taco also cuts into the hose after awhile and abrades the frame.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I guess I dont remove my brakes all that often....different strokes for different folks I guess!

Buzz

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to rub the finish off near the ziptie....

·
Registered
787 Posts
nice. might i suggest, now that you have the hole there, a cable clamp. run a nice stainless bolt through the hole and clamp. these clamps do come in black. any automotive supply store has them. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bolt would add 6 grams over the zip tie - goes against my ethic:p

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just a honest responce/not a prick!

cutthroat said:
Any particular reason?
Seem's a little extream (drilling hole through perfectly good frame). I think the other Zip-tie application seems more frame frendily. I think my Turner would have a tear in her eye if she had a drill headed for her! :p

I've had my brakes (Hope Mono-Mini's) for five years now and have only had to bleed once. What brekes are you running to require this mod?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't take any offense. Currently on Elixirs - previously had Shimanos. I swap parts around a lot. I also hesitated to drill a hole, but figured what the hell - it works beautifully and is cleaner than the other solutions I have tried or seen. It's mostly an issue on the initial install of the brakes. My Sultan runs the hydro line (Formulas) under the taco and it's developing a cut in the hose after one season. I doubt this mod has any effect on the strength of the taco.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey CT,

You want to clean that thing up just a tad? Get a black zip tie with a big enough head that it won't fix through the hole. Feed the tie through the hole from the back side of the taco. Loop around the brake line then back through the hole and wratchet into the head.

....just a thought.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Drilling a round hole....

Guitarzan415 said:
Seem's a little extream (drilling hole through perfectly good frame). I think the other Zip-tie application seems more frame frendily. I think my Turner would have a tear in her eye if she had a drill headed for her! :p

I've had my brakes (Hope Mono-Mini's) for five years now and have only had to bleed once. What brekes are you running to require this mod?
Drilling a small round hole in the frame at that location will not compromise the integety of "the taco."

I think it's a good idea and it looks clean.

Regards,

EndUser

1 - 20 of 27 Posts