Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys and gals, I'm faced with a dilemma that I hope I can get some opinions on.

I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Enduro which I absolutely adore. However, I have an old 2001 Rockhopper, my first REAL bike, sitting in my garage collecting dust (I never ride it) because I put all of my time and money into my Enduro.

Now, as I'm sure many of you know, winter is setting in and riding is taking a hit. I want something to cover this expanse of time between fall and spring, so I'm thinking about taking up snowboarding or skiing. However, I don't have enough money (and I won't have enough...poor college student lol) to buy the equipment.

Now the dilemma, should I sell my bike to buy snowboarding equipment? Have any of you regretted losing your first bike?
 

·
Formerly DMR For Life
Joined
·
989 Posts
don't sell you bike...take the bike out for a ride in the snow...with some good knobbies on it you'll have tons of fun...i personally am regreting selling my last bike (a BSO) now that i hve this want for a SS.
DMR
 

·
Official Cooler Inspector
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
Ah heck – go ahead and keep the bike. If anything, hook it on a trainer for off season/rainy day workouts or hope-it-don't-happen injury therapy.

Old people know these things....

;)
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can afford lift tickets, but snowboarding is rather expensive to get in to :p

I think I'm just gonna keep my bike for now, at least until something important comes up.

Maybe this is just irrational thinking thanks to the deathly grip of winter? haha
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Judd97 said:
I can afford lift tickets, but snowboarding is rather expensive to get in to :p

I think I'm just gonna keep my bike for now, at least until something important comes up.

Maybe this is just irrational thinking thanks to the deathly grip of winter? haha
Screw the snowboarding. Find yourself some nice boards!

"Long skis Truck, Short skis Suck!"
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,165 Posts
Judd97 said:
I can afford lift tickets, but snowboarding is rather expensive to get in to :p

I think I'm just gonna keep my bike for now, at least until something important comes up.

Maybe this is just irrational thinking thanks to the deathly grip of winter? haha
I can't tell if the smiley with his tongue out means you're being sarcastic or not, because to me that emoticon means someone's tickling my belly, but snowboarding gear is relatively cheap compared to skis. I think I spent only about $400 for my board, bindings, and boots. I found some used poles so that cost me almost nothing. It's the lift tickets that hurt. It costs a little over $5 per ride at Mt. Bachelor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Get a season pass at the slopes. It's cheaper and if you end up deciding you don't like it, you don't have 400 dollars of gear laying around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,165 Posts
mondaycurse said:
Get a season pass at the slopes. It's cheaper and if you end up deciding you don't like it, you don't have 400 dollars of gear laying around.
What do you mean? If you buy the gear, then it's yours. If you buy the season pass ($910) and you decide you don't like it, then you have $900 less in your checking account.
 

·
Occidental Tourist
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
keep your old bike.
donate some plasma.
buy used gear.
go boarding.
just don't do it all the same day.
:)
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Here's what will happen if you sell

You will get maybe $150 for the bike, which you will cover a few lift tickets and gas getting to the mountain. C'mon, how long will the money really last? You'll have seller's remorse (sure there is such a thing!). Every single time I've sold a bike I've regretted it to some extent. You never ever get what you feel the thing is worth (whether it be as a beater bike or just in sentimental value). You start looking for something to replace the bike and end up buying another bike for five times what you sold the first one for.

Keep it and use it when your Enduro is being worked on. Keep it and start riding in the snow. Keep it and convert it to SS. Just, whatever you do, KEEP IT!
 

·
Look out!
Joined
·
862 Posts
Guyechka said:
You will get maybe $150 for the bike, which you will cover a few lift tickets and gas getting to the mountain. C'mon, how long will the money really last? You'll have seller's remorse (sure there is such a thing!). Every single time I've sold a bike I've regretted it to some extent. You never ever get what you feel the thing is worth (whether it be as a beater bike or just in sentimental value). You start looking for something to replace the bike and end up buying another bike for five times what you sold the first one for.

Keep it and use it when your Enduro is being worked on. Keep it and start riding in the snow. Keep it and convert it to SS. Just, whatever you do, KEEP IT!
Yeah, I agree, keep it. I wish I had kept my previous 2 bikes. Now when mine is in the shop I have to sit and pout. :(
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, fellas, I don't mean to revive a deceased thread, however I took all of your advice and kept the Rockhopper. You guys rock. My Enduro is cracked and the only thing keeping me sane between the warranty exchange is my beloved little Rockhopper.

I am even thinking of throwing something new and expensive on it to give it a little more kick :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
hell...since you just fell into a silver anodized, $2500 Enduro frame for free...i guess you could afford a lil' somethin for that rock hopper. But what about those blue hubs?! dilemmas, dilemmas...
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha! I wish it was $2500. More like $1200 or $1300. I dunno, the new S-Works Enduro Frames are $2200, so its not anywhere near that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Judd97 said:
Well, fellas, I don't mean to revive a deceased thread, however I took all of your advice and kept the Rockhopper. You guys rock. My Enduro is cracked and the only thing keeping me sane between the warranty exchange is my beloved little Rockhopper.

I am even thinking of throwing something new and expensive on it to give it a little more kick :)
I just saw this thread. My first real mountain bike was a full rigid Hardrock Sport about 8 years ago. I have several high-end bikes now and for about 3 years the old Hardrock was a bare frame hanging in the tool shed out back. I almost threw it away one day when I was in a cleaning up rage.

Anyway, I decided to convert it to single speed this past winter for something to keep me busy and use some of the extra parts I have collected. I have a Ventana El Toro singlespeed already, so it was really just something to mess around with.

To cut to the end, the old Hardrock is living in the house again. I have 5 bikes now and I am still happy I kept the Hardrock.
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, still have/want that surfboard? :p

I've been looking to get into surfing for the past couple years. Just have to get a board and move to the coast :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top