Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So recently I have noticed that there have been a bunch of threads involving negative encounters out on the trails. Just for a change, I thought I would share a positive situation I experienced today. Of course, it will probably only get about 1/100th of the looks as the “bad vibes” threads, but what the heck!

With a closure looming on Monday, I decided to ride the Waterton Canyon – Indian Creek Loop combo today for the first time. As I closed in on the Indian Creek campground, I crossed paths with another mtber headed in the other direction. We exchanged brief “hi, how are yous” and he told me to keep an eye out for some equestrians behind him.

After a few more minutes on the trail I could hear voices from up ahead. I rang my bell a couple times (yes, I have a bell on my trail bike!) and when I heard one of them say, “I think there is a biker coming.” I called out to let them know I was coming around the blind corner. It was two older women leading two horses with elementary-school-age kids up in the saddles. As I started to dismount, they pulled off the trail and told me continue since I was going uphill. I responded that it was really their right of way, but they insisted, so I kept riding.

After I passed the first horse, I could tell that the second was getting a bit skittish at my approach; so I dismounted, pulled well of the trail, and suggested to the 2nd lady that she go ahead and come by me. They thanked me for the courtesy, and I replied that if I wanted to continue mtbing those trails, it was in my best interest to be polite to other users.

As I started to get back on my bike, the ladies called back to me that their rig was in the first campsite next to the trailhead and I was welcome go to their coolers on the shady side of the horse trailer and select a beverage of my choice. They only had wine and sodas, so I passed. (If there had been a beer in there, I would have been all over it!) Regardless, I thought that was pretty cool of them!

I probably was off my bike for about 60 seconds total, and it resulted in good vibes all around! Sometimes I think people forget how truly little an inconvenience it is to follow trail etiquette…

·
Registered
464 Posts
nanook93 said:
As I started to bet back on my bike, the ladies called back to me that their rig was in the first campsite next to the trailhead and I was welcome go to their coolers on the shady side of the horse trailer and select a beverage of my choice. They only had wine and sodas, so I passed. (If there had been a beer in there, I would have been all over it!)
I know. People are the worst.

·
Does Not Belong on a Bike
248 Posts
Dope stuff! Thanks for pushing the vibes, I always make it a point to do the same- be an ambassador of sorts.

And there is nothing wrong with a Coke if you down it fast enough...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As much as I hate all the horse crap at IC all the damage they've done in parts of Stevens Gulch, all the equestrians I've encountered there have been very polite and they have yielded many times when they didn't have to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
One time on a White Ranch trail i pull over for some horses to pass and as the 2nd horse passed it let out a monstrous fart, right when the horse's ass was at face level on me. Thank God that was a dry horse fart.

G

·
I'm always willing to stop on an uphill. I don't understand the argument that stopping and restarting while climbing is too hard and inconvenient. Isn't that what low gears are for; high torque to pedal up steep inclines at slow speeds? Good on you for being polite and courteous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts