Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having any significant snow so far this year where I live in Michigan (US). The last couple of years I only used studs once in each of those years. Didn't like removing 26X2.3 Nokian Freddie Revenz tires off of Large Marge rims, nor did I like steering the front tire on off-camber icy trails with the flat profile the Large Marge gives the Nokians. So this spring and summer I had a 47mm wheel built up for the front, and Mark Gronewald built me an extra rear from a used rim he had. This setup has payed off so far as trail conditions this past month vary with ice, and there hasn't been any significant snowfall yet where I'm at.

Having the extra wheelset allows me to quickly switch what tires I'm using, plus I really like ride of the 47MM rim up front. I can stear though icy ruts on off camber trails with more confidence, and the flat profile in rear at low pressure gives me a nice grip. When the ice dissappears and I get into sand, I still have decent float. Way better than a standard MTB with something like the Nokian Hakka 300WC's I used to have; once I got out of ice those were dogs in sand. Can't say this setup is for everyone, as I know those who ride mostly flat ice on frozen lakes and streams like the flat profile of the Freddies. The key here for me is the narrower rim up front for more precise steering. Last weekend I rode one trail that had some awful icy ruts and this setup worked beautifully.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts