Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Giant forum and got the usual, "I know a guy" type replies.

I've searched this forum for CC shocks and found a lot of Iron Horse riders reviews of this shock.

I thought I'd start a seperate thread about shocks, other than Fox, being used on Giant Maestro Suspension on any Giant model.

I guess I'm looking for a shock that will be more plush.

My experience with the stock Fox, is lowering pressure for a plusher ride, increases the sag, lessons the amount of available suspension but still has some small bump chatter because of the non adjustable platform.

I have contacted Cane Creek a while ago about a cloud nine to fit the TX.
CC has a shock with the correct EtE and stroke but no bushings/spacers for the TX.

I've ridden a C9 on a single pivot frame and it rode PLUSH, much more linear than a Fox.
Of course Bob was always with me due sus design.

As theTX sus eliminates Bob and the need for a "platform" shock, I would think the CC C9 or AD12 would give a great ride.

I know many NRS riders upgraded and love either the C9 or AD12 from Cane Creek.

There may be fit issues in the confined lower shock mount area of the TX but CC shocks can be installed upside down.
Not sure if the bottom of the shock can be rotated (twisted)180 degrees from the top.
This would allow the Air fill to be facing forward on the top and the adjustment knob face to the rear on the bottom.

If anyone out there has ridden a TX, or any Meastro sus bike, with a CC C9 or AD12, PLEASE, give us a review of the ride quality.

Tilos

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You may not be able to find anyone else using anything other than a fox. If I recall correctly, giant uses a proprietary shock size in the rear that you can not get aftermarket. A work around is to have push industries custom make one for you, but they only work with fox. I suggest sending your current shock to push and tell them exactly what you want. I think you will be pretty happy with the results.

Can you confirm the size of the rear shock that you need?

Its for this very reason that I will not purchase a stumpjumper fsr. They use some odd size 7.25 x 1.75 meaning I couldn't swap the rear shock. Why they do this is completely beyond me and they will not be getting my business.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
I am one of "those guys" who tried a Cane Creek air shock, but it was on a DW link (very Maestro like) Iron Horse HollowPoint (4.75" of travel).

The bike rode super plush over chatter and big square bumps, but...

I found that the air damping was too "elastic". Meaning the air damping changed wildly with the amount of force on the shock, this made it inconsistent and terrible for drops - it made me shy away from drops. It blew through it's travel. I even custom damped it. It also gave the bike a wallow.

I later added a Fox coil Vanilla RC and the bike came alive! Better climbing, more consistent - it converted me to coil in 1 ride! IMHO, suspension performance is far more important to a bike than an additional 300-500 grams. So look to a coil and your bike will amaze.

P

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info, Mr.P and dascro

I have contacted CC and they do make the correct EtoE and stroke C9 shock.

Quotes:
My question:
"Do you make either an AD12 or Cloud Nine shock with an eye to eye of 7.25 and 1.75 stroke?
This is to fit a Giant 2008 Trance X2."

CC reply:
"We do make a C-9 in that length and stroke. However we don't have info on that new Trance, so I'm not sure if there are any fitment issues."

I have a Pushed shock on a Locomoto and it is a great improvement over the stock Fox for single pivot.

I guess it's like owning a car with sporty suspension, you tolerate the harsh ride when you're NOT going fast because of the benefits when you do.
Except now cars have a dashboard switch for "firm/sporty".

I guess I'm looking for a shock with that switch.

I learned from Moto to set up the suspension for the end of a ride.
If you set it up for when you are fresh, it will beat you up when you are tired.

Thanks again for the replies,
Tilos

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
What kind of shock are you running? The RP23 allows you to switch platform off. You gave a lot of info and your likes and dislikes, but failed to mention what shock you're using. Regardless, IMO, a PUSH revalve with your specific needs that you've posted will work, using your stock Fox, whatever model it is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Giant whatever shock

It's the stock shock from Giant. ('08 Trance X2)
Fox Float R...non-adjustable, factory set platform.
Thanks for the interest,
Tilos

Jerk_Chicken said:
What kind of shock are you running? The RP23 allows you to switch platform off. You gave a lot of info and your likes and dislikes, but failed to mention what shock you're using. Regardless, IMO, a PUSH revalve with your specific needs that you've posted will work, using your stock Fox, whatever model it is.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
So that shock can easily be sent off for a revalving according to your needs for a fraction of the price of a new shock. Push can reducing the platform to your liking. However, I've read through your other post where you've minimized the contributions of others and you seem to be set on a CC all air shock, for some reason. I also think you might not like the Giant with no platform whatsoever. You seem to think it neutralizes the effects of the rider's weight moving up and down. While it does a good job of decoupling many forces, the simple physics of rider weight remains and some low speed compression damping helps with that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, Jerk_Chicken

A new shock is $150/$200, with Push $150, not quite a fraction.
I'm not minimizing any actual personal ride experience, just thought someone could have riden the Giant design sus with a C9 or AD12 shock. aka Mr.P

You're right in that I'm looking for some "seat of the pants experience", not techno speak. aka Mr.P
I guess that's why Push and others have Shock Dynos and don't just rely on simple physics of rider weight.
And rider weight can also be a variable!

It looks like I need 2 bikes, one for agressive XC and one setup for noodle social rides.
...or switch shocks depending on the planned ride.

No need to push Push, been there...see

Thanks,
Tilos

Jerk_Chicken said:
So that shock can easily be sent off for a revalving according to your needs for a fraction of the price of a new shock. Push can reducing the platform to your liking. However, I've read through your other post where you've minimized the contributions of others and you seem to be set on a CC all air shock, for some reason. I also think you might not like the Giant with no platform whatsoever. You seem to think it neutralizes the effects of the rider's weight moving up and down. While it does a good job of decoupling many forces, the simple physics of rider weight remains and some low speed compression damping helps with that.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
When you compare them to Rp23's, Manitous, and other true, oil damped shocks, it is a fraction of the cost.

Additionally, one that you haven't looked into is the DT Swiss line of shocks, like the SD 210 or whatever it's called now. No platform, but a lockout ca 1999. Still nice, though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I here ya

Thanks for allowing me to invade your realm of expertise and helping me with other options.

I'd ride that Loco, if the frame was not too small and have that 2 bike option, but the Giant is sooo much better.

That Giant sus design is way critical of sag (air pressure) and hard to "plush down".

While the Loco has 3 holes for top (front) shock mount to change travel, and for me plushness.

Sorry for the touchie feelie info without a techno explanation.

Tilos

Jerk_Chicken said:
When you compare them to Rp23's, Manitous, and other true, oil damped shocks, it is a fraction of the cost.

Additionally, one that you haven't looked into is the DT Swiss line of shocks, like the SD 210 or whatever it's called now. No platform, but a lockout ca 1999. Still nice, though.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,825 Posts
I have a Pushed Float R (Trail Tune) on my Ventana and it performs just as good as the stock RP23. If you know what you're after Push can really make that Float R perform like the RP23 without the need to flip any switches.

As far as mounting hardware for the CC AD12 or Cloud 9 they use the same eyelet size as Fox.....1/2" So that should be a seamless transfer.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Tilos said:
A new shock is $150/$200, with Push $150, not quite a fraction.
I'm not minimizing any actual personal ride experience, just thought someone could have riden the Giant design sus with a C9 or AD12 shock. aka Mr.P

No need to push Push, been there...see

Thanks,
Tilos
Hmm, I'm a little confused, I suggested a PUSH tune in your Giant thread. Your not interested in getting it pushed then? I have a Pushed RP3 on an 05 Reign and I can attest that it is a great adjustment. They will tune it exactly like you want it. You aren't going to get some arbitrary damper settings like you would with a new shock. I don't get it, you just don't want to do a PUSH treatment because you already have one? Was the last one not to your liking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.