Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see about some advice from anyone who might have experienced what I did today.

I went for a ride with a buddy and experienced what I think was a blood sugar crash that had me wiped out at the 6 mile mark. My buddy was kind and helped me limp back home but I felt really bad as I lost all stamina and had to keep stopping.

Now I have been riding quite a lot up until a few weeks ago. I had a summer cold prior to that that had me slowed down and then it was just too bloody hot to ride here (Texas). So I have only ridden a few times in the past weeks prior to today.

I know I am diabetic, although I have been able to handle it with diet mostly. However, I have let my self gain 30 extra pounds and have not been watching what I eat. I did not eat before the ride which was probably bad. I just had a Balance bar. I took a fruit bar and ate part of it when I started feeling bad. It helped but not enough. So I felt like crap the rest of the day. Very tired and weak.

I suspect that it was a major drop in my glucose and that I probably need to watch it closer (no I do not test it).

Anyhow, thought I would reach out and see what you fellows thought and what advice you could give.

I want to get back at it, but I am now a bit fearful as I have experienced this a few times. I am not horribly over weight. I am 6’6” and weigh about 255. I should be 225 really.

Also, my rides have been averaging 12-22 miles Up until today.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Think your suspicion is correct since you've been averaging at least twice as many miles. Can't really comment on the diabetic part of it but it sounds like you've been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic since you don't check your glucose but you have to take care of yourself, have a buddy that has a lot complications from routine hernia surgery due to being diabetic and it's changed my outlook for sure.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Being diabetic I suggest you get professional advice.

From having a pancreas issue that requires a good diet I can offer this . I always need to eat well balanced meals and eat something in a reasonable amount of time before I ride. It seems like snacks during bigger rides are more important for me than others. I will eat sports bars but it also seems like I do better with whole foods. A banana, dried fruit, cheese and nuts are activity snacks that work out well.

The low fat and low alcohol diet prescribed for the pancreas condition seems beneficial for all of life. A few associates with manageable diabetes say the same. It was kind of like learning a musical instrument, sport or language taking 1-2 years for better diet habits to be easy.

On weight, age also got me the degenerative disc disease in my family. Whether for good bloodwork results or my back, more than I like to admit keeping my weight down seems to cut the aggravation with blood sugar and back. When I am at an ideal weight the eating and exercise balance seems even more important.

Sleep: Being 6+ decades into bad at it I also know sleep helps everything work better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hard to say definitively why you crashed without more specifics, but low blood glucose is a reasonable guess. It would be a good idea to take a snack with you when you ride - ideally some simple carbs to boost your glucose quickly followed by some protein to keep it elevated long enough to keep you out of serious trouble. Peanut butter crackers work well for this if you're not allergic.

I know you know this, but losing that extra 30 pounds is only going to help increase your insulin sensitivity and would go a long way towards minimizing these type of events.

Keep riding, carry some food, and best wishes for your health.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Yea, I need to suck it up and go get checked out. As one of you said I have been pre-diabetic and have been edging into fully diabetic for some time. I know it is not something to play with, especially at 59. I probably needed yesterday’s kick in the butt.

I feel better this morning but know too that I need to be careful of a second crash in the 24 hours after the first. I read that I am more susceptible.

I only last year got back into riding MTB’s. I got hit with COVID late last year and I do not think my lungs ever fully recovered. I still have a periodic cough. Otherwise I feel pretty healthy.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Old enough to remember ..
43 Posts
As far as I'aware my bloodwork is OK. BUT to prevent those "other crashes" I carry two 21oz (620mL) bottles. One with peach flavoured water,. the other with defizzed Classic Coke. My body tells me when it's time for which.
Back in the "good old" days (in muggy Southern Ontario) I would be running - mostly on dusty, hilly country roads - up to 15 miles without liquids, longer than that I needed water stops.

BTW getting back on the bike, after two weeks without because of all the smoke, I'll take it easy to test how it goes.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Being diabetic I suggest you get professional advice.
I agree with this.
I'm not diabetic but I'm hypoglycemic and have passed out twice while riding my bike because I wasn't paying attention to the signs. The second time I crashed it was bad, 11 fractures in 8 ribs and a broken clavicle.
I never go riding without a power snack, and I NEVER skip a meal.

You may need to have a glucose tolerance test to determine your personal needs.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
^ Clinical Exercise Physiologist approved.
Awe shucks.
FWIW, the girlfriend I ride with frequently is a T1 diabetic with a glucometer and insulin pump.
In the beginning of a ride we make frequent stops to allow her to get her insulin in balance, then we're good to go.
She works at a hospital and has had to seek her doctor's advice on how to change her habits during riding season.

Its a tricky balance.

One of the times I had a glucose bonk and passed out, I had a friend with me on the ride who rushed me to the ER. They checked my levels when I was admitted into ER. It was 29!! :oops:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me, this has become one of the adjustments that goes along with getting older - I used to just hop on the bike and ride, now I have to plan ahead on WHAT and WHEN I eat before a ride and, depending on the duration, what I'm refueling with during the ride.
I think this is the big adjustment I need to make....along with a doctor's visit.

·
9 lives
22,078 Posts
Your symptoms could possibly be related to blood sugar but also consider the effects of heat exhaustion. The symptoms of heat exhaustion are similar to hypoglycemia (low blood glucose): dizziness, fainting, confusion, and for some people, excessive sweating.

Studies have found that extreme heat of summer affects blood sugar levels. How the heat affects your levels depends on what you've eaten, whether you're well-hydrated and your activity level. If the heat and your activity makes you sweat a lot, you may become dehydrated, leading to a rise in glucose levels.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
why are you guessing ?

get your meter and test strips and use them,

bring on all rides until your sort yourself out
test every 30 minutes

type 1 here and I know what is what nearly 100% the time, got it dialed

I don't use a pump I don't use a continuous glucose meter, don't need it. but I burn
6-8 test strips per day. can usually start a 40 mile dirt hammer fest at 140 and end at 99

---------------------------------------------
for this
RE: I know I am diabetic,
although I have been able to handle it with diet mostly.
<snip>
I suspect that it was a major drop in my glucose and that I probably need to watch it closer (no I do not test it).

--
you don't know anything unless you test your blood. I do know blindness and peripheral neuropathy can cramp riding....none if which happens to me since....I test. kidney failure is a real possibility if you are diabetic and just 'wing it' guessing about blood sugar levels

ffs, low salt can do what you describe

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wait so are you a diagnosed diabetic - ie: been to the doctor and been tested etc and on active meds etc to treat? Or just think you are? If it’s the latter, get to a Dr stat and don’t screw around. Late onset T2 beetus can go south quickly.

If you are diabetic you should have better control of it at your age vs what it seems like you are doing. Any additional info?

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
102 Posts
Wait so are you a diagnosed diabetic - ie: been to the doctor and been tested etc and on active meds etc to treat? Or just think you are? If it's the latter, get to a Dr stat and don't screw around. Late onset T2 beetus can go south quickly.

If you are diabetic you should have better control of it at your age vs what it seems like you are doing. Any additional info?
The way I understand it is that the OP is a "pre-diabetic" but not actually diabetic and is only recently experiencing these issues.
My guess is that the OP is either trasnfering to being an actual diabetic or is in need of some medical assitence to figure out how to manage his/her issues.

Reactions: Brules

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The way I understand it is that the OP is a "pre-diabetic" but not actually diabetic and is only recently experiencing these issues.
My guess is that the OP is either trasnfering to being an actual diabetic or is in need of some medical assitence to figure out how to manage his/her issues.
Yes, I have never had to go on anything and have been diagnosed pre-diabetic. Glucose intolerant.

However, I have not had a recent check up. I know guys, I have been avoiding my growing state. But this time got my attention. Typically, I just feel "off" but this time I really bonked, hard.

So the key;
  • Go to the doctor to confirm where I stand! (damn it, dumb ass!)
  • Watch what I am eating and eat before I go for a ride.
  • Watch the heat and what it does to me (Texas August.....)
  • Take along a snack
  • Hydrate!

That about it?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
Yes, I have never had to go on anything and have been diagnosed pre-diabetic. Glucose intolerant.

However, I have not had a recent check up. I know guys, I have been avoiding my growing state. But this time got my attention. Typically, I just feel "off" but this time I really bonked, hard.

So the key;
  • Go to the doctor to confirm where I stand! (damn it, dumb ass!)
  • Watch what I am eating and eat before I go for a ride.
  • Watch the heat and what it does to me (Texas August.....)
  • Take along a snack
  • Hydrate!

That about it?
nope, you need to add: get a glucose monitor and use it. should be primary option.

I prick my fingers up to 8 times a day, and use needles 4-6 times a day.
piece of cake vs sitting home crippled from some problem I -could have done better about-

so I skip the bullshit and just take care of myself. no whingeing on about it.

1. "stop whingeing and get on with it!"

·
Registered
411 Posts
Def see a Dr and get a glucose monitor. It’s cheaper if you go to Dr and they prescribe one. I’m type II and like 127 said - I’m doing everything I can to not end up with missing toes and organ failure. Get in to Dr and let them run a full blood panel and A1C etc. at our age (I’m 48 almost 49) it’s not worth putting it off. Get it figured out and get it corrected before permanent damage like unknown neuropathy etc.

If I can do it (just getting my beetus under control I’ve lost 50lbs) anyone can lol! Good luck and let us know what Dr says.

Also get your T checked. I did at 47 and was WAY low. Been doing TRT as wel and I’m feeling like a million bucks with the weight loss, diabeetus under control and TRT.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.