Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My next frame purchase will be a carbon HT 29er, but I am having trouble picking which one. I have it narrowed down to 3:

1. Yeti ARC
  2. Intense Hard Eddie
  3. Pivot LES

All 3 would be a size large, and have similar enough geometry numbers such that one doesn't jump out from the others:

• Head tube angle (Pivot @ 69.5, Yeti @ 70, Intense @ 70.5)
  • Seat tube angle (72-72.5)
  • Bottom bracket height (Yeti @ 12.0", Pivot @ 12.1", Intense @ 12.2")
  • Top tube (Pivot @ 24.5", Yeti/Intense @ 24.8")
  • Chainstay (Yeti/Pivot @ 17.1", Intense @ 17.3")

Yeti ARC
(+) Would be purchasing from a local shop that I really like and get a discount from
(+) Would be the least expensive
(+) BSA bottom bracket = no adapters needed
(+) 30.6mm seatpost means that the Thomson Elite & KS Lev I already have will fit
(-) My impression from reading reviews is that this might be the least compliant ride of the three

Intense Hard Eddie
(+) Love the looks of the frame and the black/red combo - my favorite aesthetically of the three
(-) Wouldn't come from a local shop
(-) Would need a bottom bracket adapter (likely the Praxis conversion adapter)
(-) 31.6mm seatpost - none of my existing seatposts would fit
(-) Would be about $150 more than the Yeti

Pivot LES
(+) Though all three have very similar geometry, the Pivot's is probably my favorite overall
(+) My impression from reading the reviews is that it might have the most compliant ride of the three (maybe because the review bikes had the Syntace Hi-Flex seatpost?)
(+) Would come from a local shop, but not one that I have any type of close relationship with
(+) Best warranty (3 years vs. 2 for Intense/Yeti)
(-) Would be about $230 more than the Yeti
(-) Don't hate the looks, but don't like it as much as the other 2
(-) Would need a bottom bracket adapter

I'm not a singlespeeder, but having the ability to convert to singlespeed has lingered in the back of my mind. The Yeti would require a bottom bracket solution, the Intense has the somewhat controversial additional dropouts (brake is fixed, would have to make an additional purchase) and the Pivot has probably the most elegant solution, but is only for 135mm so I would have to convert my existing 142mm DT Swiss 350 hubs.

I will be running the bike 1x10 (have Shimano XT cranks w/Wolf Tooth 32T chainring and 11-36 cassette), and have read about some potential differences in the maximum size chainring that each bike can accept before it hits the chainstay. I don't believe that tire clearance should be an issue on any of the three, but could be wrong. Any other considerations I should make or opinions between the 3?

Edit: I updated items related to relative cost of each, as I realized that the Hard Eddie that would be the same price as the Yeti have the 135mm dropouts, which I would have to replace.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
For well engineered compliance thanks to their road bike design group, you can add the new Superfly 9.6-9.8 to your group.
Your lbs can often work with you to take back parts you don't want, mine did.
HT>69.6, ST>72.3, BB 12.24", CS 17.13" with 51mm offset.
The 9.6 is black and red.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not looking to add more choices at this point. The Trek, along with lots of others, were eliminated for various reasons.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I absolutely love riding my Hard Eddie. I actually find I ride it 75/25 percent vs. my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeti

Got my Yeti in Oct 2013 after much research and as much testing as possible.

I have been racing and riding for 24 years and this is the second best handling bike I have had. I'm 5'-10" but have really long arms so when for med frame and the X01 build.
Swapped out the the crank for a Next sl, wheels for Eastons EC90, Stem Deda Nine 20deg, and bars and seat post New Ultimate EVO carbon
Down to 19.5 lbs

I ride East coast trails and really this bike is still getting better every outting. I handles the high speed stuff as well as the slow trials like riding
Twisty or tight. This bike does it all really well. I really like the fact that the head angle is a bit relaxed as you can just blast though rough stuff and the bike doesn't get upset. Cornering, is just plan fun. This bike is like a deer in the woods nibble and elegant. Really just so much fun.
Haven't ridden out west but two weeks holiday in North Carolina riding 3,4 and 5 hrs a day really enabled me to get to know this bike. Comfort is good maybe not as flexy a rear end as a Thin seat stay bike but still after coming off an Titus Carbon X 4" dually I was more than happy with the comfort even after the 5 hour rides

I had the Pivot as well on my list but cost of bike up here in Canada was just too High. Hope this helps
Sean

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know a guy on my team has had an issue with cracking Intense Hard Eddie frames. He's on his 3rd or 4th and doesn't punish his frames by any means. Just something to think about. My vote would be for the Pivot. That's a sweet bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That's the first I've heard of Hard Eddie cracks... Am positive Intense would make it right if its true. I ride mine more AM than XC and have had zero problems. I can comfortably take it anywhere I ride the FS TB LTc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have ridden the Les on multiple occasions as Pivot is local - its a forgiving ride for a hardtail. Good vibration damping and what feels like some vertical compliance in rougher terrain. It light with excellent torsional stiffness and versatility. The single speed conversion is one of the best designs I have seen.

The Yeti is also very light and incredibly stiff. On the demo ride I walked away from riders that are normally about the same speed. Not as forgiving as the Les but if you are a racer above all else, power transfer is great and it flies.

Haven't had the chance to ride the Hard Eddie. Post up after you buy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure it's a great bike, but I have zero passion for Giant bikes. Plus, I don't want a bike with a 71.5 degree head tube angle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
maybe riding one will change that (worked for me and a friend of mine)

ps rode it b2b with hard eddie and niner rdo

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
It comes to the point where you have to trail demo to get the info you want. Riding style, terrain and intangibles make the decision. I rode the SF 9.8 for 5 hours over the two day demo against my bike, a Remedy, Fuel, and Stache on my home trail and started hardly considering it. The carbon compliance engineered in has nothing to do with the post on this bike. It's full frame with trail feel for standing-- trail feel is gone on the fs bikes.
I rode bikes until I found one that's way more fun, then I had to change.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I can't offer any advice about the bikes themselves because I haven't ridden them.

I can say Pivot's a top notch company who stand behind their products. Last summer, when I developed a creak in my 429, they worked with me for a month or so, looking at pictures, suggesting things to test and, ultimately, replaced the Lunchbox pins which solved the problem. I was at the tail end of my warranty and technically outside the aftermarket Lunchbox warranty period. They were great to work with and honestly concerned with why my bike was creaking.

Plus, geometry trumps looks in my book and you said the Pivot's is your favorite.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up ordering a large, turquoise Yeti ARC Carbon frame this past weekend. Should have it this coming Saturday.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Congrats Yeti makes some awesome bikes me and my son tested some last week and was really impressed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Most of the parts will be transferred from my Yeti SB-95. That frame/fork will either be sold, or one day turned into a more, dare I use the term, "enduro" like bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts