Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:madmax:
It was on of those Monday mornings. l looked up at the clock and realized it was 3pm, man where did the day go! Still dont know if I accomplished much, anyways, as I am working away I hear a muzzled coversation....
"babies, blah, blah, a boy or girl...blah...blah, twins.blah blah...."
The voice sounded so familiar but not of a co-worker. I get up to investigate and there is my wife with one of my co-workers in a dreaded 'baby talk' coversation. :nono:

Anyways to make a long story somewhat short....I somehow agreed to have a baby

.......on 1 condition.......a new bike in exchange for a pregnant wife:madmax: the deal was done..........

So to my parental mtb friends out there.....how do you balance riding and a family life?

Also any suggestions on a new bike are happily accepted.

Cheers...to be cont.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Great post.

I have 3 kids and wouldnt trade it for anything....It makes life make sense. Yes, you will have less time to ride. But, really this is a hobby/fitness thing. Just one bit of advice, make sure you make time for you, make time for your wife, and make time for your kids. Its a juggling act. Life as you know it, is now changed forever(its a good thing).

Congrats....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've got two little "darlings' at home, and there is nothing like the joy of children. You'll often ask yourself why the f*ck did I think this was a good idea...

...but then there are the days like yesterday, when I was treated to breakfast in bed (cold pancakes...yummy.. hehe) and a wonderful song/dance show by my two daughters that really makes it worthwhile.

There is never a really good time to have kids, there will always be something in the way, bills that need to be paid, work that will be getting in the way.... just make sure kids are something you actually want, and as long as you actually want them, you'll make it the right time.

....besides...the trying is a lot of fun too. You could also look into ways of making your boys swim a little less successfully to stretch it a bit too hehe.... had a buddy successfully manage to go almost two years. not sure what he did, but it did seem to work hehe...

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
there will be a lot of sacrifice but the payback is worth it.
for the parents that don't sacrifice..i feel sorry for the kids.
the epic rides will have to be left behind for a while.
Hopefully you have a good sleeper, I can get 1.5 hours during nap time and i can get to the local trails for a good ride during that time on the weekends.
Grandparents are awesome too.
But in the beginning prepare to give up all your spare time for a few months.

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
Please tell me you are joking....right?

The decision to have kids, is probably THE most important decision you will ever make in you life, and should certainly not be made on a whim (or promise of a new toy). You should be absolutely certain, that the commitment you are making is for a lifetime and to a living/breathing thing. Kids can't be traded in or be upgraded (trust me...you may try both :eek: )

As others have said, kids will change your life for the good and are joy to be around. They make you complete, and certainly put life into perspective. I couldn't imagine living, and not enjoying the lessons my kids have taught me.

Presuming your tonge was planted firmly in your cheek, congrats, enjoy the ride (however, you may require training wheels for the first couple of months!)

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
offering a bicycle to a soon to be father is something akin to offering condoms at the nunnery...

my cycling addiction has survived three now - in terms of balance i have no intentions of perfecting it with a fourth. if i could pass on some advice i'm always happy to tell people how to live their life...

consider the due date. perhaps this sounds odd but believe me its worth considering...a late summer baby will not only destroy the better part of your season (room prep, sleepy/sick mom etc etc) but mom will be absolutely miserable up 20-40lb in the heat, her (as such your) life will be hell. we grouped ours together, end of march to the first few days of may. she was comfortable and i was only off the bike for the early (wet) part of the season. a february baby would be ideal - i can say emphatically that people born in february are smarter then most...

instead of buying a new bike with your baby booty - buy a spin bike and buy a good light. if you really want to stay in shape pre/post popping you will be more likely to get the opportunity in the basement (half an hour at a time) or after the wee monkey has gone to bed (i used to ride 2-4hrs alone after 10pm to get some real ride time)...real riding will NOT be in the saddle of a new insert bike here.

do your friends a favour in year one, accept that this new sack of skin is priority #1 and DO NOT COMMIT to team rides, group rides or just about anything that requires a long term advanced commitment. green poo happens with these creatures and nothing is 'planned'. i stayed in the loop of things people planned and i showed my face when i could...basically accept that you will ride when you can...your friends may buck but not nearly as roughly as they would after you make that dreaded driveway call two or three times 'ummm ya guys, go ahead...eerrrr i'm not going to make it...'

and finally, when the time comes to decide 'ride or family' you'll know the what to do...the answer isnt as clear as you might think, sometimes being a good parent means NOT staying, sometimes it means getting the hell out of dodge for 4hrs.

ultimately - fear not - the wiring to make these (and so many more decisions to problems you cant even fathom yet) has always been there..that circuit just hasnt been activated...yet.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Like SSteve F, I hope you are joking because getting a bike in exchange for a kid is a very bad deal for you, for your wife and for the kid. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Crap, smiley. What's with all the negative little faces in your post? Raising a child is THE hardest thing you will ever do in your life, so you had better be ready to put your whole heart into this.
Sleepless nights, cranky wife, sometimes hours of crying, boredom, insanity. If you don't feel ready to have a child or are just doing this for your wife and a new bike, well I think you had better rethink this.
I loathed children, still can't stand most of them, but becoming a mother was the best thing that ever happened to me. However, if my husband wasn't the wonderful, supportive man that he is, I think I would have ended up in the looney bin or biking away into the sunset.
Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmmmm, a conditional pregancy

Always a recipe for a successful, harmonious family life. Think long and hard about the lifelong implications on you and others.

If your joking (which I hope you are), walk, no run, to your LBS to get your new toy, and ride the crap out of it for the next 9 months. You will be far to tired or busy to ride on a regular basis 91/2 months from now.

My wife and I make sacrifices daily for our kids, and we are rewarded with kids that are well adjusted, know right from wrong, are good in social situations and are generally a joy to be around. Racergurl eludes to the fact that parenting is a team effort. Its give and take from both parents. My daughter had severe colic when she was young, which was our first major challenge as new parents. It was an eye-opener for us both, but taught us early on to rely on each other and put the kids first.

If you are joking and truly want kids, be a man and put the family first. You'll be rewarded in more ways that you'll ever know. Learn to like solo night rides, because finding someone to ride with on your schedule can be pretty difficult.

Heres a great thread on the family vs. riding tug of war.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420799

As far as a bike recomendations, I'm quite fond of the Ventana El Ciclon.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Lots of great advice above, make sure you let it sink it.

I bought my Turner RFX 9 months before my son was born. Rode the snot out of it that season.
The first year with any baby is challenging in every respect, I'm going through it again right now actually.

I think it's the hardest thing any couple ever goes through (in my experience anyway) but you learn a ton about yourself, your spouse, your new child and what really is important in life.

Best of luck

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice..reassuring to say the least. I jest to mask the fear! It has been two years now of me avoidng the question of when!! Im surprised my wife put up with me.:thumbsup:
Not to sure if Im looking forward to cold pancakes though, lol, but it beats green poop!

Again, thanks.

Let the practicing begin!:D Now is that before or after a ride?

Cheers

·
Registered
612 Posts
My daughter is almost 17 months now, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world! Sure, she cried almost the entire 4 hour road trip to TO last weekend, but you start to get used to these things.

The payoff is when she learns a new word or discovers something new...something as simple as an ant crawling on ground, or a squirrel climbing a tree can be a real adventure for her. And then we let her loose in Toys'R'Us...absolutely hilarious! Talk about uncontrollable excitement.

As for riding, my wife and I still make time for our activities. Gone are the days of 3-4 hour group rides...replaced by 1.5-2 hour spur of the moment rides. With less talking and more riding I can squeeze in the same distance on the days I do ride with friends.

Of course the real fun starts when she learns to ride a bike. I've already ordered her a Norco Run bike to get her started:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts