Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
This pic...

... is so great that I just had to repeat it on this page, too.

Watching them take their first no-help ride ranks way up there on the great-moments-in-parenting scale, and this pic captures the mix of exhilaration and pride just about perfectly.

Congrats, and enjoy!

Eddy

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Hey, It Worked!

Thanks Francis for loaning me your home made coaster bike. It looks like I may not need it very long.

Camille saw it and demanded to ride it this afternoon. Well... within an hour she was coasting as far as she could go out of our driveway, maybe 100-150'. She can balance herself properly as long as she's moving. :D :D :D

:band:​

I took off the training wheels on her big bike now and tried her on it. However, she's having troubles with balancing and pedaling at the same time. I'll give her another day or two on your bike, to get the balancing down solid, and lower the seat as Kat suggested. I suspect she'll be pedaling on two wheels by this weekend.

EDIT: Well, it's been another half hour. Camille's now doing multiple trips up and down the street on her big pedal bike without dabbing!!! She'd demanded to go back out after dinner. Turning around is a little shaky still and she had a small fall once. She refuses to use pads and wants to ride on the street where it's smother and more room, so she got a little scraped. But she's still begging to go out yet again after dark! She could ride all night.

Hmmm, that was a pretty short loan of a coaster bike. Thanks Francis!

Hey, now we need a kid/family play date! I promised her one with her new-found MTBR kiddie friends once she rode by herself. Now I have to follow through.

And just to think of her first escape on a bike three years ago.... Now after seeing her for real, you know that wasn't staged.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts

Hey, now we need a kid/family play date! I promised her one with her new-found MTBR kiddie friends once she rode by herself. Now I have to follow through.

And just to think of her first escape on a bike three years ago....[/QUOTE]

Hey BigLarry,

I'm in on the kid/family playdate idea. I'll check the thread for details. Sunday July 20th is a good date for me...I know it's a ways out there but time flies!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey BigLarry,

I'm in on the kid/family playdate idea. I'll check the thread for details. Sunday July 20th is a good date for me...I know it's a ways out there but time flies![/QUOTE]

Oops I think some Norcal folks are going to the July MTB Oregon ride so this may not be a good date but I'm still available to lead a ride that day. I've done family rides at Golden Gate Park, Angel Island, Shoreline, Alum Rock Park, Vasona Park and Coleman Park in Almaden. It usually works out well with 5-10 families.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
BigLarry said:
Thanks Francis for loaning me your home made coaster bike. It looks like I may not need it very long.

Camille saw it and demanded to ride it this afternoon. Well... within an hour she was coasting as far as she could go out of our driveway, maybe 100-150'. She can balance herself properly as long as she's moving. :D :D :D

:band:​

I took off the training wheels on her big bike now and tried her on it. However, she's having troubles with balancing and pedaling at the same time. I'll give her another day or two on your bike, to get the balancing down solid, and lower the seat as Kat suggested. I suspect she'll be pedaling on two wheels by this weekend.

EDIT: Well, it's been another half hour. Camille's now doing multiple trips up and down the street on her big pedal bike without dabbing!!! She'd demanded to go back out after dinner. Turning around is a little shaky still and she had a small fall once. She refuses to use pads and wants to ride on the street where it's smother and more room, so she got a little scraped. But she's still begging to still go out after dark!

And just to think of her first escape on a bike three years ago....
Niiiice. You won't need to return that to me. You just need to pass it on. I think we can keep passing on that bike to other kids so they can learn to ride and move on.

Your daughter is pretty crazy. I don't think I've ever seen any kids play like that in our play structure.

Family ride... Yes. Post ride smoothies!!!

fc

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
francois said:
Your daughter is pretty crazy. I don't think I've ever seen any kids play like that in our play structure.
You mean like when she swung on the overhead bars to get over to the trapeze. Then swung on the trapeze so hard she bumped her head on the top beam (and laughed)! (Maybe keeping the helmet on was a good idea.) And she was on her anti-hyper drugs too. She almost got kicked out of kindergarten for rowdy-girlness.

Hard to imagine where she gets her hyper from? (Well, unless you've seen my posts, emails, or car reviews, or anything else I do.)

francois said:
Family ride... Yes. Post ride smoothies!!!
Let's do it soon. I'm being drawn back into long hours pursuing megabucks in a couple weeks. (NorCal forum will surely be relieved.)

For a simple kiddie/family ride and BBQ, how about Vasona Park, Coleman Park in Almaden, or any of the other excellent suggestions by switchbaxr?

francois said:
Niiiice. You won't need to return that to me. You just need to pass it on. I think we can keep passing on that bike to other kids so they can learn to ride and move on.
Next!

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Proof - Biking and Singing

Camille was having trouble still getting started on the big bike, even with the seat down. So she figured out herself that we should take the training wheels off her old 12" wheel red "Fire" bike.That did it. She can now start and stop fine. And she's now riding with her new 20" wheel bike as well.

What's funny is how she makes up songs as she rides. Last night she rode nonstop all afternoon and evening. I had to pull her off the bike and drag her up to bed. All the time she kept screaming "I'm not done with my song!.."

Here's a couple of songs:

I Love You Hoo Hoo, played on the Fire Bike

http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf

Look at Me I Can Fly!, played on the Big Bike

http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf

And here's what she does off bike, which usually occurs every mile or so, including squirrels, dogs, dragons, and her favorite robot tarantula. (Which almost got her expelled from Kindergarten.) Today I had to say No as she tried to ride down a steep playground slide on her bike. :nono:

Attachments

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
Man that is awesome. I remember the day I first learned to ride my bike...the craziest feeling ever! Rode until dark up and down the street :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.