Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of Crankset do you run on your 29er?

Is it a triple,double+bash or a single?

What make do you have most faith in and why?

What tooth ratios do you use?

And finally, which have FAILED you(important Q to me as I`m 260lbs!) ?:eek:

Thanks,
Dr FG.:thumbsup:

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
What sort of Crankset do you run on your 29er? XTR/M960 and Truvative Stylo SS

Is it a triple,double+bash or a single? Triple converted to SS with Bash Guard and SS Ring with Bash guard

What make do you have most faith in and why? Shimano - I like the way it has worked for the last 2 years with no issues.

What tooth ratios do you use? 36x21 or 36x19 and 34x19

And finally, which have FAILED you(important Q to me as I`m 260lbs!) ?:eek: safe money would be either a set of the XT Cranks - or the Saints if you worried about breakage... that depending on what you have broken before.

Fast Freddy

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
What sort of Crankset do you run on your 29er?

>Shimano XT and FSA Carbon.

Is it a triple,double+bash or a single?

>Single

What make do you have most faith in and why?

>Shimano XT. Easy to fit and remove, well made and solid crankset.

What tooth ratios do you use?

>32/20 and 38/16.

And finally, which have FAILED you(important Q to me as I`m 260lbs!) ?:eek:

>No failures, although I do knock the ends of the FSA carbon arms about quite a lot on rocks. The Shimano crankarms are pretty bombproof, imo.

R.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I use many cranksets, but the one that is most popular right now is a Shimano XT set from 99. Square taper and Race Face rings. They are triple now, but they have been single with and without a bash.

They work, and they work well. Other cranksets go in the parts box, the old XT's just keep coming out of the parts box.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
What sort of Crankset do you run on your 29er? Leviathan: new-school LX outboard bearing (came with the bike). Vulture: 1991 Shimano DX-M730 (originally from a Fuji Sundance, now on its fourth bike). KM: generic Sugino 110/74 (pilfered from my 'cross bike).

Is it a triple,double+bash or a single? Leviathan: double+bash. Vulture: single. KM: double.

What make do you have most faith in and why? Anybody making square taper I suppose, but all these boutique brands charging $200 for square taper cranks p1ss me off, so for current models I'd say Sugino. But overall I don't think you can beat vintage Ritchey and Shimano.

What tooth ratios do you use? Leviathan: 32t/22t (geared). Vulture: 34t (SS w/ 22t rear). KM: 40t/36t (3-speed hub w/ 18t/22t rear, yielding two distinct "ranges" for commuting and MTBing).

And finally, which have FAILED you(important Q to me as I`m 260lbs!) ? Sorry, I'm 160-ish. Never had a crank fail on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.