Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been given a set of 2013 Roval Control SL hubs and rims that I am going to rebuild. Roval was kind enough to provide me with the spoke lengths they use, and I was able to confirm these with my own measurements. However, Roval recommends using 14mm nipples, which are hard to find. Is there any reason not to use 12mm nipples and just add 2 mm to each spoke length?

Also, I am planning to use DT Swiss Competition spokes instead of the Revolutions that were used on the original build. Is there any reason that this would not be a good idea? I don't care about this being a lightweight wheelset - definitely more interested in durability and lower maintenance.

Thanks for any help!

Edited to correct from 14mm /12mm spokes to 14mm /12mm nipples

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok - so I just did the logical thing that I should have done before posting and checked to see if a 12mm nipple would work with this rim. The spoke tool bottoms out on the rim, so I guess a 14mm nipple is required. Is this a normal thing with carbon rims? While I was at it, I checked the nipples provided by BTLOS for my other carbon wheelset and they are 14mm as well.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
DT nipple length doesn't affect spoke length. You need longer nipples because the carbon is thick at the nipple bed. It's no big deal; nips are cheap. Also you may want to fix the wording in your original post because people don't know what a 14mm spoke is.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,167 Posts
You are using measurements that no one has heard of. 14mm is 1.4cm, what is 1.4cm on your spokes? They are not 1.4cm long or wide. Do you mean 14g spokes? Thinner spokes would be a higher gauge, like 15g, they make 2.0 and 1.8mm nipples, 14g and 15g respectively. Do you mean 12mm nipples?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
You are using measurements that no one has heard of. 14mm is 1.4cm, what is 1.4cm on your spokes? They are not 1.4cm long or wide. Do you mean 14g spokes? Thinner spokes would be a higher gauge, like 15g, they make 2.0 and 1.8mm nipples, 14g and 15g respectively. Do you mean 12mm nipples?
You haven't heard about 14mm spokes? Do you even bike? This new geometry makes the bike super flickable so you can get rad etc etc etc etc

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.