Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished these...a bit of detail-oriented time on the 83 Stumpy Sport, and a winter VRC commuter on the 86 red Stump.

The blue one is nearly perfect, and the red one is as period correct as I could get, while keeping it functional and affordable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both are very nice, but I really like the red one. Really cool build--the front rack, studded tires, unorthodox bar/shifter combo, fenders.... a lot of interesting yet functional details that add up to an ultimate winter commuter! I can't resist the look of a bike like that. :thumbsup:

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Golf Club stem and the bar look like they are from an 82 bike. I think the original owner had the bike modified when new. This bike originally came with a Bullmoose style bar/stem.

I'm not sure if they're Grab On grips, but they are the originals from the bike.

A little note, I took the modification directions for the thumbshifters on the red bike right from an article in an 85 Mountain Bike for the Adventure that I have that was written pre-Dirt Drop production when WTB was telling the world how to modify road drops for MTB use and how to set up the shifters to match.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
richieb said:
A little note, I took the modification directions for the thumbshifters on the red bike right from an article in an 85 Mountain Biking that I have that was written pre-Dirt Drop production when WTB was telling the world how to modify road drops for MTB use and how to set up the shifters to match.
hmmm. would love to see a scan or photo of that article if you ever get a chance. I've modified a couple of those perches to fit drops but I'd be interested to see how the mag recommended.

Love the utility bikes for some reason.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty psyched about the Stump commuter...I may keep if for year round purposes as well once the spring hits. I think it'll end up with th Michelins on the 83 for street use.

The red one was originally an afterthought that a buddy got me for $20 an a local hock shop and I thought it would be good ebay fodder, but I think, given that it's Prestige tubing, it would be much more valuable to hold onto than sell off...I think I have too many bikes, but that doesn't matter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.