Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, it was fookin' hot in Norcal (collective gasp of duhhh from the peanut gallery, thankyouverymuuuuuch) as we geared up to ride Salmon Falls this morning. The sun was already sending out prescient death rays as Jilm and I left the Sweetwater trailhead at 9. As we popped out into the lower parking lot, we saw the wrath-inducing sight of pic #1. Heaven help the guys we catch doing this sh!t.

We hooked up with new guy Xavier at the bridge, and rode on. The plan was to suss out Mickey Mouse, as I had heard rumours it was closed. On the way, I took pic #2 of J & X.

At the base of the fire road, we hooked up with another fellow on a Ventana (didn't get his name), and he accompanied us for a while. The fire road up to Mickey was pretty damn hot, and lots of brush has grown across the trail. We got to the top, and proceeded to head down the fun stuff. After a couple hundred yards, Xavier came to a skidding halt, us hot on his tail, and the sight of barbed wire wrapped back and forth across the trail greeted us. The only thing that saved us from getting meat-pressed was a red rag fluttering from the wire. See pic #3. Hard to see the wire, idden it?

Subdued, we pushed back up to the top for a fire road descent, through the bramble bushes again, this time at a higher rate of speed (ow ow ow), down to a fire road that took us to the top of the second part of MM. We scrambled down that, back to the main part of the Darrington Trail, and rode out to the crossroads. We saw this sign (pic #4), which directs riders to a 'new' trail on the other side of Rattlesnake Bar Rd., there by the ranger station. Don't know how long it is, or where it winds up- maybe someday soon we can find out (but only if we start riding at 7 a.m.!)

On the way back, all of us were low on water. Xavier decided to take water from a running stream & fill his Camelbak. Jilm started to, but I cautioned him against it (don't tell me what to do!). He checked his C-bak water level & decided he had more than he thought. Pic #5 is of Xavier filling 'er up as Jilm drools- good luck with all that!

So, at this point, we've lost a sweet downhill trail, and gained another bit of CC trail. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. Mickey Mouse was a freakin' great ride, and a pox on anyone who tries to build a house (or many houses) on it.

R.I.P., MM.

fp

Attachments

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Adventures in creek water, let us know how it turns out. Didn't I see signs of cattle out in that area?

It was fricken hot today. I rode a little bit around Bass Lake. The 007 DH race was going on at one side of the lake so I took a break and road Goat Mountain on the other side of the lake. Had a couple of new riders with me so we didn't put in that many miles. The climib was hot and sweaty and the downhill went by to quickly.

george

Attachments

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
After my quick ride I went back to the DH race and noticed the pro results.... looks like Mark Weir we here. (First pic)

Before I left, I had to add a little MTBR reminders for future bike riders. (2nd pic)

george

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nice recap FP. That sucks about MM and the glass... big time. It f-ing turns my stomach.

Sorry I couldn't make the ride.

Nice pics, I like the one of Jim taking that turn on SW with X in the background... cool shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts