Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work will take me to Ft Collins Tuesday morning and I'm thinking I might have time for a ride when I'm done. Can anyone point me to somewhere I could get a 2-3 hr ride in, where to park, good route etc? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little bit of everything?! I'm not really bothered, just looking for some new trails to enjoy whilst I'm up there. Is there that much variation...?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yup. Climby with some tech in Horsetooth. Smooth mileage in Lory. Really close to town, foothills, shoreline, maxwell, etc. Bobcat - forest road grunt with super fun descent. Blue sky, swoopy, etc.

Some variation I guess.

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. Climby with some tech in Horsetooth. Smooth mileage in Lory. Really close to town, foothills, shoreline, maxwell, etc. Bobcat - forest road grunt with super fun descent. Blue sky, swoopy, etc.

Some variation I guess.
Damn man! You're not making this easy! If you had a couple hrs and preference, what would you ride?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd park at either the Bluesky or Soderberg trailheads it will give you the most variety all from one place. Big climbs and some techy decents can be had in HTMP. Head north into Lory or south onto Bluesky where you can add Indian Summer and DBB for more variety/tech. In 2-3 hrs you can easily get in 20-25mi if you stick to the smoother faster stuff or you can get 10-12 in HTMP and feel like you just rode about 30.;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Horsetooth. Soderburg lot. Towers>Stout>Sawmill>Loggers>Carey springs>Towers. Descend Mill creek>Nomad back to the Soderburg Lot.

2nd choice would be Blue Sky to Indian Summer loop and return.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hmm...so many different options and opinions on routes at HTMP.

Hint: No ride is complete at HTMP without one of these descents: Wathen, Spring Creek, Carey Springs/Loggers/Sawmill. The best day is when you do all three :D

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...so many different options and opinions on routes at HTMP.

Hint: No ride is complete at HTMP without one of these descents: Wathen, Spring Creek, Carey Springs/Loggers/Sawmill. The best day is when you do all three :D
Horsetooth. Soderburg lot. Towers>Stout>Sawmill>Loggers>Carey springs>Towers. Descend Mill creek>Nomad back to the Soderburg Lot.

2nd choice would be Blue Sky to Indian Summer loop and return.
I like the idea of the route LittleBitey suggested but I've been looking at the map and it gets a little confusing in the middle where all the trails converge... does anyone have a gpx file I could use? Or a turn by turn description...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I like the idea of the route LittleBitey suggested but I've been looking at the map and it gets a little confusing in the middle where all the trails converge... does anyone have a gpx file I could use? Or a turn by turn description...
no gpx file, but here are a couple more suggestions:

Soderberg -> Sawmill(up) -> Carie Springs(up)-> Tower(up) -> Spring Creek(down) -> Wathen(up) -> Westridge -> Tower(down) -> Millcreek(down) -> Nomad (back to soderberg)

Soderbert -> Sawmill(up) -> Loggers (up) -> Herrigton -> Wathen (up) -> Audre Culver (down, turn around back up) -> Wathen (down) -> Herrington -> Carie Springs (down) -> Sawmill (down).

Soderberg -> Nomad -> Timber (hope you like switchbacks) -> Howard (tech!) -> Millcreek (down) -> Nomad (back to soderberg). After Howard, you could go up Millcreek, but my legs hurt just suggesting that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd park at either the Bluesky or Soderberg trailheads it will give you the most variety all from one place. Big climbs and some techy decents can be had in HTMP. Head north into Lory or south onto Bluesky where you can add Indian Summer and DBB for more variety/tech. In 2-3 hrs you can easily get in 20-25mi if you stick to the smoother faster stuff or you can get 10-12 in HTMP and feel like you just rode about 30.;)
+ 1

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It is tradition to get lost and do the "wrong" route your first few times at HTMP ;)

Also, I've noticed a growing trend of "off leash hiker club" going on up there at HTMP. This is where a group of 5-8 hikers think its okay to have all their dogs off leash and roam. They are pretty oblivious to anything going on around them outside of their club. Real easy to come around a corner and there they all are. Its pretty well documented/signed that dogs are to be on leash. Keep an eye out...

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is tradition to get lost and do the "wrong" route your first few times at HTMP ;)
Yeah, that looks entirely possible!

Also, I've noticed a growing trend of "off leash hiker club" going on up there at HTMP. This is where a group of 5-8 hikers think its okay to have all their dogs off leash and roam. They are pretty oblivious to anything going on around them outside of their club. Real easy to come around a corner and there they all are. Its pretty well documented/signed that dogs are to be on leash. Keep an eye out...
I'll keep 'em peeled! Thanks for the heads up...

·
climb
2,293 Posts
This is a good route, but if you want close to the same experience, a little warm up, and less intersections I would do this.

Swan Johnson, Nomad, Sawmill, Carey Springs, Tower Trail (this is a service road), Mill Creek Down, then head back toward HTMP from Lory.

Attachments

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a good route, but if you want close to the same experience, a little warm up, and less intersections I would do this.

Swan Johnson, Nomad, Sawmill, Carey Springs, Tower Trail (this is a service road), Mill Creek Down, then head back toward HTMP from Lory.
Thanks! And this map is definitely easier to read than the one found on the web...

·
Registered
248 Posts

This is a good route. And mill creek is a good descent.

·
Registered
345 Posts
After Howard, you could go up Millcreek, but my legs hurt just suggesting that.
Climbing Mill Creek??? That's crazy talk right there. :eekster:

Lots of good routes at HTMP, it all depends on how much time you have or strong your legs are feeling. ;) Lot of good routes posted already but a few of my go-to's are:

Park at Bluesky ride the road (38 E) up to the west upper lot > Southridge > Audra Culver (up) > Horsetooth Rock (down) > Westridge (left - to get to Wathen) > Wathen (down) > Spring Creek (up) > Herrington (up) > Stout (down - cross Towers, down to Sawmill) From here you can do a few different things but if I'm tight on time I'll go right on Sawmill (down) Nomad (down) > Inlet Bay to the BS lot.

Or if time ins't an issue once you get to the Stout/Sawmill intersection go left up Sawmill (up) > Loggers (up) > Carey Springs (up) > Towers (up) > Mill Creek (down) > Lory West Valley (south) > Nomad > Inlet bay > parking lot.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Yep, happened to me. Started at the Horsetooth parking lot and took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at Soderberg.

Bluesky/Indian summer is a great ride and one of my favs in the area but only a little over 10 miles. You could easily add it HTMP or Lory as well though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts