Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something about catching first trails on a weekend morning. For some it is time to ride their white beach cruisers and others like to clear any vision impairing spider webs entangling the singletrack. Personally it is an attempt at waking up earlier than I would on a work day, and making my body work before my brain seems to function.

This Sunday morning at the Church of the Dirt. I cruised around China Camp with its awesomely tame double and triple track until I discovered much more narrower sections. Sitting in the car with the heat on was not keen on getting out and riding. Even in all the layers could still find frozen sections of my body. Mounted the bike and just started pedaling. Duration of the ride I could easily find something to complain about and find a shortcut back to the car.

Did not run into any bikers for a majority of the ride so I was free to crush the frozen over mud puddles. Until coming back on Shoreline where 35+ degree weather couldn't keep any of the bikers at home watching wildcard football. Was a clear and very cold day by my standards. And had thoughts of a skull cap or hoodie keeping me warm.

But kept pressing on and finished in time to get a phone call.

"I thought you went to go get coffee?" - the gf

*all crappy pictures taken with the phone

Attachments

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I was out in Santa Cruz yesterday morning with a rake, shovel, and a saw.

It was cold, but not too cold. I was down to a t-shirt in a matter of 20 minutes.

My bro and I arrived at 8:30am, and started hiking... right after I took this picture:

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Rode Skeggs Sun. I had no idea how cold it was until I stepped out of the car. Luckily, I keep a coupla spare jackets, leg warmers and skull cap in my gear bag. I really need some winter riding gloves though cuz my fingers were in pain by the time I got to the bottom of crosscut. I don't know when I was ever so eager to begin a climb!!! :D

Eventually, I got warm enough where the fingers didn't hurt but even at noon we could still see areas of frost. :eekster:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I did the same thing on my 39th birthday (the 2nd).
I woke up at 5:30 and I started thinking about riding, so I got up, prepped my bike and headed out on a quick ride to QuickSilver. It is about 40 minutes to the gate. Just as I rolled up to the gate the ranger opened up the park as I passed. Somehow I managed to pass two bikes and several bikers.
The dirt has been fantastic lately in the Santa Cruz/Los Gatos hills! Not much mud, but it was like riding on sand paper.
I rolled back into my driveway and the family was just sitting down to breakfast.
Happy birthday to me! :D

If you are into watching your times on local rides, go hit Kennedy. I was only a couple minutes off my Kings of Kennedy time without working very hard. :thumbsup:
Man I want to get back out there and ride;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.