Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever encountered the comment, usually made when a biker finds out you are riding a 29er: "Oh, he's riding a 29er, I guess he can ride over anything." Or something to that effect. I ran into this comment a while back and the sarcasm kind of bothered me so I puzzled over a good appropriately clever retort. The best I can come up with is: "well, why don't you lie down in the middle of the trail and we will find out."

Any other ideas? People here must run into these kinds of comments all the time.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've encountered a few local Dicks that are somehow offended by the 29'er concept. They seem to think that those of us who ride 29'ers, feel that we are cooler or smarter then they are. They joke about how incapable our bikes are but at the same time they'll squeal about us having some kind of unfair advantage. I didn't get a 29'er to be cool. I just rode one and it fit me better than any other bike I had ridden to date, so I bought into it. Usually those who poke fun are frail, spindly dorks, so I could care less what they have to say.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Better : be in awe of their bikes, and beg to take them for a spin. Take off, one forced to follow on your bike. Rarely will they take an offered ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
when i am feeling fiesty i will pretend like i had no idea my wheels were big. "that stupid salesman, i KNEW something felt different. I am taking this thing back to the shop right away"

when i am feeling nice i just tell them thanks for noticing as politely as possible and ride away.

@Surly rider: awesome. "yer mom" jokes never get old.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Nat said:
What if you learn to ride over anything? That shuts them all up.

I'm with ya, shut the mouth and stomp the peddles...After that the comments are usually..."They REALLY do ride over everything!:D
Sweet Video Nat...Just sent the link to my 26" Brethren...they were not half as impressed as I!!...That makes my day brighter in a sick dark way.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I had a racer geek make a comment, upon checking out my IndyFab 29er SS. Damn, that thing ain't got no gears. Is that one of those entry level 29ers that I been hearing about? I just laughed and rode away

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Quasi said:
Has anybody ever encountered the comment, usually made when a biker finds out you are riding a 29er: "Oh, he's riding a 29er, I guess he can ride over anything." Or something to that effect. I ran into this comment a while back and the sarcasm kind of bothered me so I puzzled over a good appropriately clever retort. The best I can come up with is: "well, why don't you lie down in the middle of the trail and we will find out."

Any other ideas? People here must run into these kinds of comments all the time.
I would use the same thing I do for comments about having a singlespeed.

It's a bike.
I ride it.

If they persist just shrug and say nothing.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.