Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

looking to get into riding a 29incher. I will mainly want to just bomb around town hitting the bike paths and coffee shops. It will have to be a single speed as I love the simplicity. I have a Kona JTS and a Kona Unit (26incher). The obvious choice would be to get a 29incher Kona Unit. However, I would like to try a different band. I have a few vague criterias/questions:

1) I would prefer steel.

2) I want to build it up with disc brakes.

3) I want to have the option of easily changing the gearing from a town to mountain (maybe even run it as two speed). Are there any durable two speed hubs (i.e. the old Sturmey Archer types)? Or should I run two side-by-side cogs and cranks and have an EBB to take up the chain slack?

4) Would disc brakes need to have their position reset if the drive line center-to-center distance changes if I decide to go with track ends?

5) I don't have deep pockets - up to a grand for the frame and fork would be my limit.

Looking for guidence and recommendantions.

Cheers,

Mark -%)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Holy smokes, a grand for a singlespeed commuter frameset!? Dude, don't show off you're loaded as much!
A grand buys you a complete On-One bike, minus the discs. Or 2 Redline Monocogs.

On the singlespeed forum many people are runing dual chainrings and cogs, together adding up to the same total toothcount, so chain lengths are similar. I think they call them dinglespeeds. Like 32-18 and 36-14 (both adding up to 50). The latter would have a higher chain tension when not adjusting chainstay length. Swapping gears is done manually. Push of at the chainring, change cog, "shift" on to the other chainring. Requires a dismount and greasy hands, though.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
laverda3c said:
1) I would prefer steel.
Redline Monocog, On-One Inbred 29er, Niner s.i.r.9, Haro, Kona, Surly, custom. Who'd I leave out?
laverda3c said:
Yes
laverda3c said:
3) I want to have the option of easily changing the gearing from a town to mountain (maybe even run it as two speed). Are there any durable two speed hubs (i.e. the old Sturmey Archer types)? Or should I run two side-by-side cogs and cranks and have an EBB to take up the chain slack?
I think easiest option is the side-by-side. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=167302
laverda3c said:
4) Would disc brakes need to have their position reset if the drive line center-to-center distance changes if I decide to go with track ends?
I don't know about track ends, but I haven't had to reset the brakes on my Inbred with sliding dropouts.
laverda3c said:
5) I don't have deep pockets - up to a grand for the frame and fork would be my limit.
That's more than enough budget. You can get that entire Monocog bike for much less than a thou. The Inbred as a complete bike is around $1000: http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17504&cat=23&page=1

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Nat - you left out Soma, Voodoo, and soon that new Zion frame that'll be coming out from Jenson USA. Oh yeah and the Raleigh - but that seems like it will be very hard to find.

·
Registered
227 Posts
QBall frame will suit your needs just fine. Hand built steel,disc brake only, SS or gears, sweet disc setup, and a hand built fork for $530.00.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
I suppose the old KM is either too obvious to mention, or just so "old" that it's not hip anymore?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
MMcG said:
Nat has it in his list.
Dang, I still don't see it...but I haven't had any coffee yet this morning... :skep:

edit: ah, there I see it, he just said surly...whew, man, it's a wonder I make it to work in the morning...

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
ncj01 said:
Dang, I still don't see it...but I haven't had any coffee yet this morning... :skep:

edit: ah, there I see it, he just said surly...whew, man, it's a wonder I make it to work in the morning...
Har! Not your fault; I can barely type in the morning.

·
BigWheelsKeepOnTurning...
31 Posts
laverda3c said:
Hey Guys,

looking to get into riding a 29incher. I will mainly want to just bomb around town hitting the bike paths and coffee shops. It will have to be a single speed as I love the simplicity. I have a Kona JTS and a Kona Unit (26incher). The obvious choice would be to get a 29incher Kona Unit. However, I would like to try a different band. I have a few vague criterias/questions:

1) I would prefer steel.

Looking for guidence and recommendantions.

Cheers,

Mark -%)
Call Rob at Badger Cycle....you can't go wrong. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts